Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Serbian Silver Medal

Chris_Baker

Can anyone enlighten me as to the qualifying criteria for the award of the Serbian Silver Medal? How do they differ from the Gold Medal?

Chris: If you are referring to the Serbian Milosh Obilich Medal for Bravery the Gold Medal was awarded to officers and the Silver Medal to NCOs and other ranks for acts of bravery on the field of battle. Regards, Dick Flory

Thanks, Dick. Not sure if I am, or not! The London Gazette refers to it only as the Serbian Silver Medal.

Chris

Even if it was the Silver medal of Zeal, Dick is correct, gold usually to Offrs & silver to OR's.

I have seen a gold Milosh Obilich Medal to a Private, so can only think he did something very special.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Chris

I once researched a soldier from the 1st Australian Light Trench Mortar Battery, Private Sidney Turner, who was awarded the Milosh Obilich Silver Medal.

In doing that research I’ve seen the two classes of the medal referred to as:

Gold Medal (or silver gilt) for officers

Silver Medal (or silvered bronze) for non-commissioned officers and men

The medals were produced in two different sizes, not being due to the classes, but most likely attributable to manufacturers using different patterns.

Now, my research also came up with Gold Medals being awarded to men from the ranks. For example a Serbian Gold Medal was awarded to 1904 Pte James William Armstrong, 2nd Battalion AIF. The recommendation for the “Gold Obilich Medal for Bravery” was made on 13 September 1916 and the award was gazetted in the London Gazette on 15 February 1917, page 1605.

Looking at that gazette issue, the awards are listed under the heading “Gold Medal”. There are also awards under “Silver Medal”, “Order of the White Eagle” and “Cross of Karageorge”. These awards are collectively listed under the heading “Decorations and medals conferred by HIS MAJESTY THE KING OF SERBIA. (September and October 1916).

The gazette lists Gold Medals, Silver Medals and the Cross of Karageorge to NCOs and privates the Order of the White Eagle to officers.

This is a scan of a Serbian Obilich Medal in Gold awarded to 3479 Rifleman Bahadur Pun, 1/8th Gurkha Rifles (London Gazette 15th February, 1917). He was also awarded an Indian Meritorious Service Medal for his services in Egypt.

This Silver Medal is the same design.

Sepoy

post-55476-0-64763900-1306490120.jpg

post-55476-0-11167200-1306490186.jpg