Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Redcaps' in Mesopotamia

Ken Wayman

Hi Pals

Here's one I've been asked but can't answer about the essential but largely unloved Corps of Military Police.

Would a 'Redcap' wear his traditional red-topped cap in Mesopotamia during the hot, dry season? I know it seems like an unnecessary 'what if..' question but I'm doing some research for my novelist cousin who is a stickler for accuracy in his stories. Would the MPs have made any other concessions to the climatic conditions?

Many thanks for your time in considering this unusual question!

Cheers

Ken

Shirt-sleeve order. Red cap. Antony

Shirt-sleeve order. Red cap. Antony

Hi Antony

Much appreciated info! Thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply.

Cheers!

Ken

<br>Hi Antony<br><br>Much appreciated info! Thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply.<br><br>Cheers!<br><br>Ken<br>

Ken, the use of shirt sleeve order (SSO) by Army units was less common and more prescribed in WW1, although it was still permitted at certain times. The reason for this was because the so-called "grey back" shirts then issued to the men had no collars and so did not look so smart as those issued in later decades and appearance and discipline were still a paramount concern amongst the chain of command, especially in the first few years of the war.

The Military Foot Police - MFP and Military Mounted Police - MMP (neither CMP, nor CRMP at that time) always had to appear smart, in order to set an example to other troops and indeed, one of their roles was to pick up on minor infringements of dress regulations when the men were out and about, away from their unit lines. For these reasons the MPs would have been in KD in Mesopotamia and generally with tunics on.

The wearing of SSO was generally confined to hard manual work or long marches in blistering heat (invariably marching 'at ease' when out of contact with the enemy) and had to be specifically sanctioned by the officer commanding.

From 1914 to the mid part of 1916 the MFP and MMP (both a de facto part of the rather obscure Cavalry Staff Corps) were tiny and did not expand greatly until the latter two and a half years of the war. The policy then was to have a small Corps of MFP/MMP (3 officers and 508 Warrant Officers, NCOs and men) supplemented by Regimental Military Police (RMP) who were, in a sense, levies provided by each infantry battalion and cavalry regiment under a unit provost sergeant. In large base areas similar composite forces were provided by ASC and RA units too, although to a lesser degree. Indeed, as part of the preparations for the Somme offensive of 1916, relatively large bodies of these latter were formed and known as 'Battle', or 'Trench' police with a remit to round up and guide walking wounded and leaderless, or disoriented men to either CCS, or the Rally/Collection points that had been set up for the purpose.

The role of MFP/MMP included route control (checkpoints), port of entry control and the policing of rear areas around garrisons, and courts martial at HQs, all of which were generally static roles. Little hard manual work, or forced marching was undertaken by MFP/MMP and their appearance had to be exemplary at all times as their primary remit, by far, was to maintain discipline. The sleeves of KD tunics were not generally rolled up at that time and in hot climates orders often stipulated avoiding bared flesh after Sunset/Clock Setting (1800hrs) in order to avoid insect bites leading to disease.

Red cap covers would be worn in rear areas just like other troops wore SD caps when out of the line, but in forward areas on route control duties and similar such tasks foreign service helmets that protected from the sun would have been required. The red cover was less iconic at that time and indeed a blue version was worn in the port areas instead. The most common and readily identified distinguishing marks were coloured arm bands (black with red letters) and whistle chains from the top pocket to an upper chest button. Pistols in open topped leather holsters and lanyards around the neck were also commonly worn when on duty.

By November 1918 there were all told 270 officers and 12,000 men in the MFP/MMP. It was not until 1926 that the two branches were merged to form the Corps of Military Police (CMP).

Footnote: In 1946 the CMP became the CRMP (RCMP having aleady been adopted long before by the Canadian 'Mounties') and for similar reasons the erstwhile RMP (see above) became plain RPs, which remains the case today.

post-599-0-66185500-1305930710.jpg

post-599-0-49436800-1305932704.jpg

That is amazing detail and just what I needed! Many thanks.

Ken

I bow to far vaster knowledge. Thank you for the education, Frogsmile. Antony

I bow to far vaster knowledge. Thank you for the education, Frogsmile. Antony

It's my pleasure, I have learned some Scottish matters on occasion from you too. All of us have things to offer.

post-599-0-82660400-1305931155.jpg

and shoulder titles, which is how they were differentiated.

post-599-0-89615600-1305932963.jpg

post-599-0-41118800-1305932998.jpg

Cap

post-599-0-28990900-1305933164.jpg

Excellent images! Thanks again. I believe the image in my mind when I posted first was that of redcaps in my day in Cyprus and lands to the south where they wore shirts, sleeves rolled, shorts, etc. during the hot weather. Wrong war! Antony

Excellent images! Thanks again. I believe the image in my mind when I posted first was that of redcaps in my day in Cyprus and lands to the south where they wore shirts, sleeves rolled, shorts, etc. during the hot weather. Wrong war! Antony

Yes, I mean no offence (truly) but it is always best to only answer a query if you feel 100% sure about your information (and even then you will sometimes be wrong).

Morning Frogsmile

The images you posted are superb and very much appreciated. May I thank you for all your help?

If ever I can return the favour...just ask.

Ken

Morning Frogsmile

The images you posted are superb and very much appreciated. May I thank you for all your help?

If ever I can return the favour...just ask.

Ken

My pleasure Ken, please let me know if I can help in any other way.

Yes, I mean no offence (truly) but it is always best to only answer a query if you feel 100% sure about your information (and even then you will sometimes be wrong).

Point taken ^_^ . Antony