Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Entitled to SWB?

mutley

Can anyone tell me if my grandfather would have been entitled to a SWB, based on the following:

He was wounded in Gallipoli with the 6th Bn Leinster Regt and evacuated to UK after recovery he was posted to the 7th Bn Leinster Regt in France and received a GSW to the chest on 2/9/16. Due to the effect of his wounds (family history also states that he was gassed) he was transferred to the Labour Corps in 1917.

He went before a standing invaliding board at Winchester on 08 04 18 and was discharged. Would this have entitled him to a SWB? If so why does it not appear on his MIC? How can I find out what number his badge is if he is entitled to one?

Thanks

Hi Mutley

Quite often there were two mics, one for the medals and a separate one for the silver war badges. Chances are there is another mic out there with your grandfathers details on it, just waiting to be found. If his name is in the zone for the on-line mics try searching for him by just using his service number and this may throw up the other mic, they were frequently different in the way names were portrayed, ie. William A Woods on the Medals and W. A Woods on the swb card.

Steve

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Or as in the case of several units such as the MGC, the SWB roll entry is missing from the MIC and no second MIC exists. This is a case of having to search through the rolls by hand unless you know the number of the badge.

eg 126652 Pte F B Davis MGC - his MIC shows no SWB, but I have badge B315836 which the roll says was issued to him.

I have come across some seriously wounded men who never claimed an SWB - one had a bad GSW to the head necessitating the wearing of a hat for the rest of his life, the other lost both legs.

Ian

Ian & Steve

thanks for the advice.

Ian, did individuals have to claim a SWB or were they automatically awarded it?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Good question...............from what I have seen it was a claim made by the soldier and endorsed by his Depot or Unit CO.

Ian

Ian

if that is the case then I doubt if he did claim it. If my grandfather was anything like my father he wouldn't have claimed it, my father still hasn't claimed any of his medals from the second world war.