Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photos from CWG

Lady Linda

I am shortly visiting these cemetries. Anyone want any photos from them? :poppy:

Goderswalde

Le Touret

Menin Gate

Westouter Churchyard and Extension

best wishes

:hypocrite:

Lady Linda

Welcome.

One of mine is named on the Le Touret memorial.

Thomas Alfred Morse, Oxs and Bucks.

I have a photo of his name but if you happen to see his name as you walk around - Killed in Battle of Festubert May 1915.

Enjoy your trip.

Steve Morse

FryP10/03/1915Son of Charles William and Elizabeth Fryer, of 40, Picardy St., Belvedere, Kent.8969 PrivateWest Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own)LE TOURET MEMORIAL28

Aplogies for the clumsy cut and pastebut I would be grateful for a photo many thanks Joan

That would be very kind..he is not a relative but is on the memorial in my church were I grew up. It would be kind if the cross could say " remembered in Belvedere "

best wishes

Joan

Sorry my soldiers name is FRYER same as his parents not FRY

many thanks Joan

• Admin

Le Touret was looking stunning when I was there 2 weeks ago, the stone was bright white in the morning light.

Michelle

Hi Lady Linda

I too was at Le Touret 3 weeks ago, but I have since discovered one of my Buxton men had been mis-identified (by me, obviously!!) and the one I need a photo of is on the Le Touret Memorial, so if you possibly can I would like a photo of the name of:

L/Sgt. Thomas Green - 2 Bn., Grenadier Guards - Panel 2

As you see from my signature below, my great uncle, William Piggott is buried in Le Touret Cemetery - Grave I.F.6. If you pass him by a token of remembrance would be much appreciated. Also on the Memorial are many Cheshire lads who served with my Grandad - say hello to them too.

Most of all enjoy your trip.

Graham

Le Touret was looking stunning when I was there 2 weeks ago, the stone was bright white in the morning light.

Similarly when I was there last Friday afternoon. There has evidently been some cleaning done, as there is a sort of tide-mark inside the colonnade, just above head-height. Some of the stone almost looks as if it has been whitewashed, although I'm sure it hasn't been.

Linda,

Please may I add two names to your list of photograph requests?

Pte E E Sampson 9614 2 Devonshire Panel 8/9 Le Touret

Pte H Piper 7074 1 Devonshire Panel 8/9 Le Touret

Would be very grateful for photo of their inscription.

Sandra

Hi Linda

If possible would be grateful for a photo of the inscription for these 2 brothers Le Touret Memorial

1392 Pte Edward Linton Hodson 8th Div. Cyclist Coy. 09/03/1915 Panel 47

8561 Pte John William Hodson 2nd Lincs Regt. 10/03/1915 Panel 8

Regards Carole

• 2 weeks later...

That would be very kind..he is not a relative but is on the memorial in my church were I grew up. It would be kind if the cross could say " remembered in Belvedere "

best wishes

Joan

Hi,

Just returned from France/Belgium and layed a cross. We picked the day the noisy workmen were there ! But I have to say the way they look after it is magnificent.

best wishes

Linda

post-71262-0-76002500-1306085808.jpg

Hi Lady Linda

I too was at Le Touret 3 weeks ago, but I have since discovered one of my Buxton men had been mis-identified (by me, obviously!!) and the one I need a photo of is on the Le Touret Memorial, so if you possibly can I would like a photo of the name of:

L/Sgt. Thomas Green - 2 Bn., Grenadier Guards - Panel 2

As you see from my signature below, my great uncle, William Piggott is buried in Le Touret Cemetery - Grave I.F.6. If you pass him by a token of remembrance would be much appreciated. Also on the Memorial are many Cheshire lads who served with my Grandad - say hello to them too.

Most of all enjoy your trip.

Graham

Hi Graham,

Just returned from France/Belgium and have attached photo. Hope it is ok as have not done this sort of thing before. We picked the day to visit Touret the noisy workmen where there, spoiling the peace and tranquility. However they do do a marvellous job of keeping it looking in tip- top condition so shouldn't complain.

My relative was on the same panel as yours, although he was in the 1st Bn Grenadier Guards. I was wondering if you had any info about the Grenadier Guards and Touret. He was one of our posh relatives Captain Wyndham Wentworth Knatchbull-Hugessen listed as Brabourne on the panel as he was 3rd Baron Brabourne.

best wishes

Linda

post-71262-0-63259300-1306088011.jpg

Thank you so much really appreciate the personal touch with the cross

best wishes

Joan

Hi Linda

If possible would be grateful for a photo of the inscription for these 2 brothers Le Touret Memorial

Regards Carole

Hi Carole,

Photo as promised.

best wishes

Linda

post-71262-0-78263000-1306258072.jpg

Hi Linda

Regards Carole

And the other one.

post-71262-0-85631800-1306259500.jpg

Welcome.

One of mine is named on the Le Touret memorial.

Thomas Alfred Morse, Oxs and Bucks.

I have a photo of his name but if you happen to see his name as you walk around - Killed in Battle of Festubert May 1915.

Enjoy your trip.

Steve Morse

Hi Steve,

I know you said you had a photo, but thought I would send you one with the cross, couldn't reach any higher!

best wishes

Linda

post-71262-0-91614700-1306262633.jpg

Linda,

Please may I add two names to your list of photograph requests?

Pte E E Sampson 9614 2 Devonshire Panel 8/9 Le Touret

Pte H Piper 7074 1 Devonshire Panel 8/9 Le Touret

Would be very grateful for photo of their inscription.

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Photo as promised.

best wishes

Linda

post-71262-0-12711400-1306262943.jpg

Thank you very much Linda.

Much appreciated, hope you trip was everything you wished.

regards

Sandra