Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Horace Claudian Smith 52 Squadron

Jerrymurland

Buried at Ramscapelle Road killed on 20 Oct 1914. I can't find any detail on him anywhere,does anyone have the detail of his death etc? It's Smith by the way, not Mmith!! My typing gets worse.

Jerry

Jerry or you sure about the date of death

I have him on 11/09/1917

sabine

52 Sqn were based at Meaulte (near Amiens) as part of 4 Brigade and in support of XV Corps as of April 1917.

For the Third Ypres they were at Bray Dunes (on coast) still part of 4 Bde and still in support XV Corps.

At the beginning of the Spring German offensives they were at Golancourt on Brit Fifth Army front in support of XVIII Corps.

this I found online

Thanks Sabine, yes your date is correct. Its the circumstances of how he died I'm after. Was he shot down? If so by whom etc

Jerry

Jerry, Chris Hobson's "Airmen Died in the Great War" states that 2nd Lt H C Smith (pilot) was killed and his observer Lt E F C Budd died of his wounds after being shot down in an RE8 no: A3477. Trevor Henshaw's "The Sky Their Battlefield" states that they were on an artillery observation sortie and were shot down over 'COST DUNKERQUE'. They left their aerodrome at Bray-Dunes at 11:40 am that morning.

Regards Steve

• 7 years later...
On 10/05/2011 at 08:12, Starlight said:

Jerry, Chris Hobson's "Airmen Died in the Great War" states that 2nd Lt H C Smith (pilot) was killed and his observer Lt E F C Budd died of his wounds after being shot down in an RE8 no: A3477. Trevor Henshaw's "The Sky Their Battlefield" states that they were on an artillery observation sortie and were shot down over 'OOST DUNKERQUE'. They left their aerodrome at Bray-Dunes at 11:40 am that morning.

Regards Steve

HI I appreciate that this thread is now some years old however by a rather circuitous route I have come across it. Horace Claudian Smith was great uncle, brother of my paternal grandfather. I've attached a photo so you can put a face to the name. I am fortunate to have some of the letters that he wrote to my grandfather during his short time with the RFC. Horace was originally buried at  Oost-Dunkerque Bains British Cemetery North of Dunkerque, then exhumed and reburied at Ramscappelle Road British Cemetery in September 1919. He is buried next to Lt E F C Budd.

Regards Vicci

IMG_2323.JPG

• DavidOwen changed the title to Lieutenant Horace Claudian Smith 52 Squadron