Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Noreuil- Hindenburg line Apr- May 1917

Ralphed

Can anyone help me get a trench map /overlay of this area. Off on a visit in Aug and want to understand the layout of the land a bit bettter.

Thanks in advance.

I have a few maps of this area mainly dated from end April 1917 to Sept 1917, some trench maps, some more general. Some with contours & others without. As the trench locations (and who holds them) change quite rapidly & new ones appear throughout the summer of 1917 perhaps you should PM me so we can decide which ones you want.

TEW

Thanks. PM sent.

Hi,could I suggest it would be great to see some overlay or comparison views of the Bullecourt area here too

Andy

:rolleyes:

Here is Bullecourt

post-10939-0-38006100-1305131124.jpg

Hi,could I suggest it would be great to see some overlay or comparison views of the Bullecourt area here too

Andy

Here is Bullecourt

A fine piece of patchwork

Andy

Here is Bullecourt

That is excellent! Any more?

Roger

Thanks for your maps guys.

I just love this Forum. :wub:

Hello Osvaldo, mine are on their way too

Thanks guys,I have quite a few others thanks to the Australian archives and linesman

Here is another view of Bullecourt under bombardment

Andy

post-10939-0-26414300-1305226712.jpg

Not a great deal of interest in poor old Bullecourt?

Here is a view of the railway embankment south of the village

Andy

The embankment

post-10939-0-81646800-1305391287.jpg

Not a great deal of interest in poor old Bullecourt?

Here is a view of the railway embankment south of the village

Andy

Andy

Well, I am enjoying your efforts!

Roger

Me too. One of our local soldiers serving with the 2/4th Bn Duke of Wellington’s (West Riding Regiment) (part of the 62nd (2nd West Riding) Division) was killed in action on 15th April 1917. I haven't seen the War Diaries but the "Regimental Warpath" indicated the Division was involved in the German attack on Lagnicourt on the 15 Apr 1917. 21 year old Private James Henry Bairstow 201617 may well have been in the Lagnicourt area or in the trenches around Bullecourt when he died. He was buried in HAC Cemetery Ecoust-St Mein which the CWGC advises was extended after the armistice when graves were added from battlefields of Bullecourt and Ecoust. We still have to visit his grave but have driven through Bullecourt and read the Battleground Europe book.

Bernard

I too love these overlays. Well done.

TT

Thank you guys. This area is another part of the western front that is often overlooked, my interest is the Yorkshire battalions that fought around here, not forgetting the Aussies either

Bernard, I will have a look at the 62nd Div history Wyralls today and see what I can find

Here is another aerial of Bullecourt

Andy

post-10939-0-84728900-1305448222.jpg

Andy

Any information would be appreciated as I am still trying to track down where many of our soldiers fought and fell.

Bernard

Andy

Your new aerial appears to cover the area which includes the Australian Memorial - Modern plan/aerial attached.

Bernard

post-23884-0-38818600-1305491596.jpg

Thanks Bernard, I have the short diary account ready for you

Here is another view of the village dated 24th April 1917 from the South

Andy

post-10939-0-54053000-1305542809.jpg

Here is a trench map of the area showing the positions of the Yorkshire battalions prior to the attack on 3rd May 1917

Andy

post-10939-0-95356400-1305820529.jpg

• 3 months later...

Did a bit overlaying. This helped me get to the approx position of the wife's G grandfather prior to going up to Noreuil in 1917.

The war map comes from Royal fusiliers war diary from some research i had done last year. It's not exact. I could not get all of it to match up. Vraucourt Copse is slightly out of position.

post-55413-0-62816400-1314451991.jpg

Same map from a different angle.

post-55413-0-58863800-1314452328.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hello,[/size]

my gre[/size]

Hello,[/size]

my great-uncle Alois Schoellhorn (born in 1891) was killed in action in the morning of April 2, 1917 in the outposts of Noreuil. He was a soldier of the 4th Company of the German (Wuerttemberg) Reserve-Infantrie-Regiment 119, 26th Reserve Division.[/size]

My question: Are there still in Australia maps or sketches in war diaries in which the details of the attack on Noreuil at April 2, 1917 are drawn on? I'm interested in particularly the exact location of these outposts around the village where my great-uncle died. His German comrades had to have his body back. A grave does not exist. I think he is somewhere buried in the soil at Noreuil.[/size]

We are glad that we can live peacefully as an Australian and German today. [/size]

Thank you and Many greetings from Germany[/size]

Franz Schollhorn[/size]

at-uncle Alois Schoellhorn (born in 1891) was killed in action in the morning of April 2, 1917 in the outposts of [/size]

Noreuil. He was a soldier of the 4th Company of the German (Wuerttemberg) Reserve-Infantrie-Regiment 119, 26th Reserve Division.[/size]

My question: Are there still in Australia maps or sketches in war diaries in which the details of the attack on Noreuil at April 2, 1917 are drawn on? I'm interested in particularly the exact location of these outposts around the village where my great-uncle died. His German comrades had to have his body back. A grave does not exist. I think he is somewhere buried in the soil at Noreuil.[/size]

We are glad that we can live peacefully as an Australian and German today. [/size]

Thank you and Many greetings from Germany[/size]

Franz Schollhorn[/size]