Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Skiathos

Guest Simon Bull

Guest Simon Bull

I am shortly going on a holiday to the Greek Island of Skiathos. Anyone know of any Great War connections with or Great War history of the island?

Simon Bull

I would take the ferry across to Skopelos, past Alonnessus and round to Skyros. Not only is it a beautiful journey but you can visit Rupert Brooke's grave when you arrive at Skyros.

Hi Simon-

Skiathos is a beautiful island with much to do and see. However, most of the historical sites purport to the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. In addition, as with all islands withing the Greek waters, the island's ancient history is also visible. I do not know of any WW1 sites on the island and the only notable fact that I can associate with the island during the World Wars, is the sinking of the Greek submarine Lampros Katsonis off the coast. When I visited a couple of years back, however, the site was inaccessible to divers, so unless that has changed, I do not think that there is much to see in terms of 20th military history. I hope you prove me wrong, however, so upon my next visit I know what to see. The trip to Skyros to visit Rupert Brooke's grave is worth the effort in my opinion. Hope you have a great time, all the best

Dimitri

Guest Simon Bull

Thanks for the information gents. I shall keep my open for 20th century history on Skiathos and if I see any I shall report that.

I am afraid I shall not be venturing onto the seas. I am quite the world's worst sailor! Even the shortest trip on the calmest seas generally reduces me to abject and excruciating seasickness. This is a condition often laughed at by those who do not suffer it, but quite quite misery making if one does suffer to the degree that I do. I recall once reading a joke from someone who was afflicted saying that when they first got onto a particular ship they thought they might die, but after a few hours they worried that they might not. I know exactly how they feel! A great shame for me, as I am very into natural history and unable, for example, to tolerate even trips to see whales, seabirds, seals etc.

Simon Bull