Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photos of Ypres/Somme in 1920's

Conor Dodd

As above that sort of period does anyone have any photos of Ypres during that period also any photos of Adolf Hitler's visit to the Menin Gate etc. if anybody could post them on the forum that would be brilliant.

Conor

The pictures of Hitler are still in copyright and it might be difficult to legally post them here - After The Battle magazine did a recent edition which was devoted to Hitler's battlefield tour in June 1940. Some amazing images amongst them!

There is also a series of magizines that were produced in England called "20 Years After" You can find these from time to time. They have great photos, and info. I have seen them on ebay.

Dean Owen

Whitby Canada

I have recently acquired some photos of the area around Hooge/Armagh Wood, Square Wood, Hill 60 and The Bluff that were taken in 1929 by a sadly unidentified ex-soldier from Spalding in Lincolnshire. There are also some undeveloped negatives with these photos as well but I don't think that they are in a good enough condition to produce photographs.

I do not have a scanner, but perhaps the Webmaster would be kind enough to do the honours if people are interested?

To Conor,

Last year, the Belgian television (www.canvas.be) gave in a programme a film showing the visit on 1 june 1940 of Hitler to Belgium, e.g. Hitler and the Menin gate in Ypres. I videotaped that film.

Gilbert Deraedt :huh:

Conor.

I also have a book entitled "The Western Front Then and Now" (not the John Giles book!) printed in 1928. Ditto the above message.

Dave.

Many thanks for all the replies are any of the books you mentioned being reprinted or if not does anyone know where I might be able to get the originals

Conor :D

Conor.

I haven't heard of either "20 years after" or "The Western Front then and now" being reprinted. I suppose Ebay would be as good a place as any to look.

I bought the entire "20 Years After" series (both parts 1-42 and the supplementary volume of 22 parts) for a fiver from a second hand book shop about 10 years back. My "Western Front Then and Now" was £2.50 from a second hand book shop about 6 months back.

Dave.

Rik Opsommer is town archivist of Ieper and should have many pictures. He is a speaker at the US Branch seminar/tour there in two weeks speaking on reconstructuion of Ieper.

I have a complete collection of 'I Was There' published in the early 30's if any one want's me look up stuff from them.

I'll try and get around to taking a mooch through them this week and see if I can find any pics of Ypres in the 20's.

There was a book of postcards for sale on eBay last week of the cemetaries around ypres in the 20's (which I bid on and lost at the last min - hurrumph!) <_<

But, I am on the look out and WILL NOT BE BEATEN IN MY QUEST!!! :P

Shout me if you want any scans and suff from I was There

Fleur

I wouldn't believe the story about Hitler and Tandey too much though. It has some remarkable errors in it...

Jan