Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS HOGUE

Gordon Caldecott

Old topic but if Gordon is still researching crew members of the Hogue. I posted part of this article recently on another thread; here is the rest

Dr Irvine, who was Andrew Irvine's (Mallory and Irvine) uncle, was the doctor on board the ship Hogue, but luckily was rescued on this very fateful day when the Aboukir, Cressy and Hogue were also lost.

Birkenhead News

drirvine.jpg

Doctor on the Hogue

Dr Irvine among the rescued

The doctor of the cruiser Hogue was Dr Leonard Cockburn Irvine, fourth son of Mr and Mrs James Irvine, of 18 Devonshire-road, Oxton Birkenhead

.........In May, the doctor joined the Royal Naval Reserve as a surgeon. He offered his services to the Admiralty, and two days before the war broke out he was drafted to the cruiser Hogue. His ship took active part in the action at Heligoland Bright, and has been actively employed all the time. As showing the perfect arrangements existing at the Admiralty for notifying the relatives of men serving with the fleet when disasters happen, it may be noted that Dr Irvine's father received a telegram on Tuesday night informing him that the ship on which his son served had sank. Naturally, the family were in a state of great anxiety as to the fate of Dr Irvine but at half-past two on Wednesday their anxiety was relieved by the welcome visit of a telegraph messenger, who roused them from bed with a further message from the Admiralty saying that Dr Irvine was amongst the saved. On Thursday Mr and Mrs Irvine received a cable direct from their son who had been landed in Holland, which read 'Well and unhurt' The Dutch government has decided not to detain the officers and men landed at Dutch ports and Dr Irvine and his companions are expected home today

Caryl

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much for all the information. Much appreciated. I am just back from The Netherlands and bought a copy of 'Drie massagraven voor de Nederlandse Kust-22 september 1914' ( 'Three mass graves off the Dutch coast' ) by Henk H.M. van der Linden, which came out last year. I can read Dutch with the help of a dictionary. I am looking forward to seeing what new information this book can offer. With best wishes.

Probably no help to you researching the casualties, but might be of interest. Taken from the Penny War Weekly, 31st October 1914, page 203.

W. Tice of Sherringham, who had completed his term of service in the Navy, but was one of the first to volunteer on the outbreak of the present war. A survivor from the Hogue, he was in the sea for an hour and a half. The rescuing boat was already well filled when it reached him, and a line being thrown to him he was towed for over a mile before being taken out of the water. He states that, as his ship was settling down, the crew cried, "Are we downhearted? NO!"

post-79542-0-07148400-1317919815.jpg

Another one from the Penny War Weekly, 17th October 1914, page 168.

Four brothers of HMS Hogue, and all saved. The four men, James, Thomas, Harry and George Murfield, of Whitby were all seamen of the Naval Reserve. At the time the ship was struck they were each at their separate posts, and only came together on arrival at Harwich, whence they departed for a brief period of rest at home.

There is another article naming Sidney Herbert Bearne, a first class stoker of HMS Hogue, who saved the flag. If anybody is interested, I will dig out the camera and put it up as well.

Andy.

post-79542-0-76382900-1317920485.jpg

That's amazing, thank you for posting this Andy. And I hadn't even heard of the 'Penny War Weekly' before. Would be interested to see some more. With best wishes. Michael Bully

Sidney Herbert Bearne, first-class stoker of HMS Hogue, with the flag he saved when his ship went down in the North Sea. He wrapped the flag round his waist, and was rescued after being in the water for no less than three hours.

I will scan through and see if I can find anything else. I have a bound copy of all the issues of the Penny War Weekly which ran from 5th Sept 1914 to the 9th Jan 1915, when it became the Vivid War Weekly, which I have up to the 30th Jan 1915. It is very gung ho, obviously it's first aim was to keep up morale rather than faithfully report the facts, but some of the pictures are fantastic.

Andy

post-79542-0-28124400-1317921882.jpg

• 5 months later...

To everyone.

I am Henk H.M. van der Linden. I wrote a book in Dutch about the disaster 22 september 1914. Next september the translation in English will be launched, In Chatham. I would be very happy if as much descendants of the Hogue (and Cressy, and Aboukir men) would attend. If you are interested, please let me know. I want you all to meet and exchange your memories.

Henk H.M.

Hello Henk

I have managed to read the book in Dutch , and delighted that there is a going to be an English translation. I think that you will need to post a few more messages before anyone can send you a Private Message via the Great War Forum. One of the moderators can advise, Best wishes, Michael Bully .

To everyone.

I am Henk H.M. van der Linden. I wrote a book in Dutch about the disaster 22 september 1914. Next september the translation in English will be launched, In Chatham. I would be very happy if as much descendants of the Hogue (and Cressy, and Aboukir men) would attend. If you are interested, please let me know. I want you all to meet and exchange your memories.

Henk H.M.

• 9 months later...

My Grandfather Thomas Banks White from Whitby Yorkshire was one of the survivors of the Hogue, as far as I know was picked up and taken to Amsterdam. There were several of the crew from Whitby. He passed away in 1973.

Interesting. How the Dutch government, as a neutral regime should treat survivors of the war at sea, was a complex issue : Armed combatants of either side who ended up on Dutch soil were interned in The Netherlands.

It may be worth sending a Private Message to Henk H M as he is trying to trace as many relatives as he can from Aboukir, Cressy and Hogue.

Regards

Michael Bully

My Grandfather Thomas Banks White from Whitby Yorkshire was one of the survivors of the Hogue, as far as I know was picked up and taken to Amsterdam. There were several of the crew from Whitby. He passed away in 1973.

Ernest Percy James Tinne, Lieutenant, RNR, lost his life serving in HMS Hogue and is commemorated on the Chatham Naval Memorial, panel 8. He is also remembered on a family gravestone in Allerton Cemetery, Liverpool and on other memorials: St Anne's Parish Church, Aigburth (founded by a member of his family among others), Liverpool College, Liverpool Parish Church (which houses the Cunard Steam Ship Company memorial, among others). He had served with Cunard before the war.

My wife's grandfather was Capt of Marines on the Hogue when she was sunk. Harold Ozanne spent several hours in the water but was rescued and went on to serve in both WW1 and WW2. I have been researching his life and will start to build a web site shortly at www.ozanne.co.uk Harold married the Colonel's daughter ( later became General )Edward Wylde RM so I will will include him in my research. My project for the last 10 years or so has been my great uncle Albert McKenzie VC and I have web site about him and the Raid on Zeebrugge at www.mckenzie.uk.com. I am always interested in information about the Raid, and corrections to my web site. Regards Colin McKenzie

Hello Colin, just had a quick look at your website as mentioned below and most impressed. Will spend longer there. Regards, Michael Bully

My wife's grandfather was Capt of Marines on the Hogue when she was sunk. Harold Ozanne spent several hours in the water but was rescued and went on to serve in both WW1 and WW2. I have been researching his life and will start to build a web site shortly at www.ozanne.co.uk Harold married the Colonel's daughter ( later became General )Edward Wylde RM so I will will include him in my research. My project for the last 10 years or so has been my great uncle Albert McKenzie VC and I have web site about him and the Raid on Zeebrugge at www.mckenzie.uk.com. I am always interested in information about the Raid, and corrections to my web site. Regards Colin McKenzie

thanks Michael, look forward to hearing your comments and suggestions

best wishes

Colin

Hello Colin

Will message you later.

Also recommend the latest update of the 'Live Bait Squadon Society' website-second WWW bulletin available now.

http://www.livebaitsqn-soc.info/

Regards

Michael Bully

thanks Michael, look forward to hearing your comments and suggestions

best wishes

Colin

yes looks fascinating, will ready though with interest

many thanks

Colin

www.mckenzie.uk.com

I see in Bulletin 1 of the Live Bait Squadron Society that the BRNC archivist labels the Cressys as "battle cruisers," when of course they were designated either armoured cruisers (pre-1913) or simply cruisers (post-1913). I hope no one else has made that mistake.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The latest bulletin of the Live Bait Squadron Society -bulletin number 3- is available for downloading:

via the website.

Have only had a quick look so far but articles include an update concerning salvage diving of the wrecks- and whether Dutch law can prevent this, and more about the Dutch television documentary highlighting the sinkings. It is hoped that the latter will be screened in The Netherlands, Germany and Britain.

And a couple of photos purporting to be of equipment salvaged lawfully by a German contractor once Britain sold the wrecks in 1958

http://www.livebaitsqn-soc.info/

Regards

Michael Bully

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've just come across this thread. I am currently researching the men on the Tonbridge War Memorial and these two men appear there:

CWGC

BARLING, HENRY WILLIAM

Service No: 281047

Date of Death: 22/09/1914

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy H.M.S. "Aboukir."

Panel Reference 4.

Memorial CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL

Additional Information:

Son of Henry William Barling, of 10, Lansdowne Rd., Tonbridge, Kent; husband of Frances M. Barling, of 3, Causier Rd., Mile Town, Sheerness.

Extract from the Tonbridge Free Press 4th December 1914

FORMER TONBRIDGE MAN’S HEROISM

Chief Stoker Gives His Life for Another

The details of the heroic death of a Sheerness man named Henry William Barling, who for thirteen years made his home with his mother and sister in Lansdowne Road, Tonbridge, are to hand. Mr Barling, who leaves a widow and two children, was chief stoker of the “Aboukir.” He joined the service nineteen years ago, and took part in the siege of Ladysmith. He was then a member of the Naval Brigade that went to the assistance of Sir George White, his ship, “H.M.S. Forte,” being stationed at the Cape.

Mr Barling was seen in the water floating on a piece of wreckage. A stoker in difficulties approached him and Mr Barling gave the wreckage up to him. He was a strong swimmer, but was probably exhausted, having suffered from rheumatism during the few preceding days, and he was numbered among the lost. Great sympathy is felt with the bereaved widow and children.

Jack Twort, another Tonbridge man, was a chief stoker on HMS Hogue and died in the same action. [see below]

CWGC

TWORT, JACK

Service No: 170842

Date of Death: 22/09/1914

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy H.M.S. "Hogue."

Panel Reference 4.

Memorial CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL

Additional Information:

Son of Horace and Phyllis Twort, of Tonbridge, Kent; husband of Olive W. Twort, of 97, Burnt Oak Terrace, Gillingham, Kent.

I shall catch up with the "Live Bait" Bulletins later.

Dave Swarbrick

Thanks for the information Dave. I'm sure that Live Bait Squadron Society would welcome any information that you can offer.

Their site is also carrying this release

Mr Bill Ferris (Chief Executive of the Chatham Historic Dockyard) requested me to convey the following message in our bulletin:

‘Next year, the 100th anniversary of the loss of Hogue, Cressy, and Aboukir will be marked at The Historic Dockyard Chatham as part of our wider programme to commemorate the First World War. There will be a memorial event on the afternoon of the 22 September 2014 held at the Historic Dockyard that will honour all those who lost their lives from the Three Cruisers. As plans become more formalised in the coming months, the Trust will make these public’.

Would like to visit Chatham for it....the 22nd September 2014 is a Monday.

Regards

Michael