Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Memorial Plaque

biffrocks

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me with the following Memorial Plaque to commemorate Andrew Mooney. On the Commonwealth War gaves website there are 2 Andrew Mooneys. One is to a private 17704 in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders the other is to a Z/3925 Able Seaman in the RNVR. I have been unable to find Andrew Mooney in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders as the spelling of the surname is Moonie this is also the same as on the medal index card for him with the service number above.

My main question is how do I know which is correct the Commonwealth War Grives database or the Soldiers died / MIC's. I would then assume this plaque could then only relate to the Able Seaman in RNVR.

I have attached photos to see i this can help as I have read conflicting articles to do with the size of the H in He died to identify Naval Plaques.

I hope someone can help me in my quest to correctly identify if possibble the corret serviceman.

PLAQ1.jpg">

PLAQ4.jpg

PLAQ3.jpg">

Many thanks

Rob

Does this plaque have the WA stamp at the rear ? This would confirm the place of manufacture, if not then it is likely to be the plaque to the RNVR casualty.

They were initially made at the Memorial Plaque Factory, 54/56 Church Road, Acton, W3, London from 1919. Early plaques did not have a number stamped on them but later ones have a number stamped behind the lion's back leg.

In December 1920 manufacture was shifted to the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich. Plaques manufactured here can be identified by a circle containing the initials 'WA' on the back and by a number stamped between the tail and leg (in place of the number stamped behind the lions back leg).

It is generally accepted that a memorial plaque with a narrow H in "He died" will more often be found to naval recipients. Yours has a wide H which suggests the likelihood that it was to Mooney of the Argylles. But there is no certainty of this as both types were issued to both services.

Does this plaque have the WA stamp at the rear ? This would confirm the place of manufacture, if not then it is likely to be the plaque to the RNVR casualty.

They were initially made at the Memorial Plaque Factory, 54/56 Church Road, Acton, W3, London from 1919. Early plaques did not have a number stamped on them but later ones have a number stamped behind the lion's back leg.

In December 1920 manufacture was shifted to the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich. Plaques manufactured here can be identified by a circle containing the initials 'WA' on the back and by a number stamped between the tail and leg (in place of the number stamped behind the lions back leg).

Hi Peter

Thanks you for the info above. I have checked the back of the plaque and there is not a WA stamp. I have contacted the Commonwealth War Graves Commission but they have replied to say in can take up to 4 weeeks before they can answer the enquiry.

Thanks

Rob

It is generally accepted that a memorial plaque with a narrow H in "He died" will more often be found to naval recipients. Yours has a wide H which suggests the likelihood that it was to Mooney of the Argylles. But there is no certainty of this as both types were issued to both services.

Hi Jim

That's where I was coming from but if it turns out that the Mooney to the Argylls on the CWWG Website should be Moonie then this plaque can only have been issued the Andrew Mooney RNVR. I have contacted CWGC and will have to wait to see what they come back with.

Cheers

Rob

You have an Acton Plaque. I have only seen one Acton plaque to a Naval recipient, and his was an unusual case of an assumed name/alias. Therefore fairly safe to assume yours will be to an Army chap. Spelling mistakes galore on plaques, so beware that too.

Hi John

Thanks for your info. I hope someone can now help me with any info on Andrew Mooney of the Argylls

Cheers

Rob

Hi John

Thanks for your info. I hope someone can now help me with any info on Andrew Mooney of the Argylls

Cheers

Rob

Rob

Are you certain that he is Mooney or Moonie ? If you get a copy of his death certificate, whatever name is on there is the official version, whether it is right or wrong.

A PM to Terry Denham would give you the DC ref so it would be cheaper to buy a copy.

Hi Peter

If as everyone says it's an army plaque then it must be for Andrew Mooney Argylls but with a misspelling as there are only 2 Andrew Mooneys on CWWGC database. One being Argylls the other RNVR.

Cheers

Rob

Is the plaque to a family member or something you picked up? The reason I ask is because Pte Mooney A&SH is listed on the SNWM as born Lochee, and AB Mooney RND's NOK is from Dumbarton according to CWGC, does that mean anything?

Sam

Hi Sam

No it's not a family plaque, it's one I picked up last weekend at a car boot and am just trying to do the research behind it.

Thank you for the info you have kindly posted.

Rob