Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Leinster Regiment

Guest ewarrenofarrell

Guest ewarrenofarrell

Hi,

I am new to this site and I am looking to know if anyone has any information on the movements of the 2nd Leinster Regiment during WW1. William Henry Fitzmaurice was married to my grandaunt and when they married in 1915 in Cork, Ireland he was a Drummer in H.M.A. When their second son was born in Nov 1916 he was in France and in the 2nd Leinsters. He was in Portsmouth in Sept 1919 when their third son was born. He subsequently died in Nov 1919 in the Welsh Metropolitan War Hospital, Cardiff. He was in the 1st Leinster Battalion at the time of his death. I have found his Medal Rolls Index Card. He was awarded the British & Victory Medals. He was also awarded the Military Medal and I have also found this Index. However on both of these Index Cards the date 31/8/54 is written in pencil on them and this in some way refers to his Military Medal. Does anyone have any idea what this could mean?? I have also tried searching for his service record but to no avail and also I don't know his place of birth. I think he was stationed here in Cork pre-war as there were a few different Battalions stationed in Forts within Cork Harbour.

Many thanks for any information available.

Ethel

• 2 weeks later...

Ethel

The Long Long Trail,at top left of this page has links to the service of 2 Leinsters. They were part of 73 Brigade of 24 Division,which landed in france in Sept 1915. Your relative would have arrived in a draft in 1916 to cover losses. Here the page on 24 Division:

http://www.1914-1918.net/24div.htm

Sotonmate

There is a very good book about the 2nd Leinsters called "Stand To" a diary of the trenches by F.C.Hithchcock M.C.

I dont know if W.H. Fitzmaurice is mentioned in it but it gives you a good idea of the movements of the regiment and the life the men endured.

• 4 weeks later...

Ethel

You may like to know that later when he was with the 1 Leinsters they served in Palestine as part of 29 Brigade of 10 Division. They arrived in Egypt from Salonika in Sep 1917 prior to which your subject was in France with the 2 Leinsters,so somewhere along the way he may have been drafted, or either wounded or sick enough to be withdrawn from this Battalion and later posted, to the 1st in the Middle East.

Whether he again was repatriated either due to sickness or wounds remains to be discovered, as he was in the War Hospital in Cardiff later.There were quite a few battles in Palestine at the end of 1917 and in 1918 for him to be under risk of wounds,but again disease was quite prevalent too.

Sotonmate

• 2 months later...