Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German m10 210 mm Howitzer - then and now?

WhiteStarLine

Just visiting Melbourne (Australia) for work and walked out the gate and saw a captured artillery piece. I instantly recognised the 8" (210 mm) m10 Krupp howitzer as my grandfather took a picture of one of these in September 1918 and it was one of the few in his album that he captioned himself. The word 'Roisel' is visible in a street sign. What pulled me up with a start, is that after reading the plaque, there is a distinct possibility that it is one and the same gun. One top cover has been removed, but this was common in salvage - just look at the contemporary photographs of the Amiens Railway Gun now at the Canberra War Memorial to see the differences.

When I blow up his copy, the writing clearly says 19/9 along the barrel. Other writing is chalked on, but less easy to decipher. The one I photographed in Melbourne 2 hours ago says that it was captured on 18 - 19 September by the 1st and 4th AIF Divisions. The 3rd AIF Division signallers marched down the same route heading for the Hindenburg Line.

post-66620-0-71239100-1304411575.jpg post-66620-0-32591200-1304411577.jpg