Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I am able to assist with Coatbridge soldiers

irnbru1970

Sam,

We were not aware of any other members of my Grandmothers family. It was only Patrick we had heard about but I have a cousin who lives in Airdrie and she has carried out research into the family.

it is only in the last week that I have been able to get in touch with her and will be following this up to see what she has learned.

I will drop you a note when I gather it all together.

Once again thanks for you help,

Mike Scott

Sam,

We were not aware of any other members of my Grandmothers family. It was only Patrick we had heard about but I have a cousin who lives in Airdrie and she has carried out research into the family.

it is only in the last week that I have been able to get in touch with her and will be following this up to see what she has learned.

I will drop you a note when I gather it all together.

Once again thanks for you help,

Mike Scott

1911 census sold confirm if he's a brother.

You'll see an image of Patrick's name on Coatbridge cenotaph here http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/

• 10 months later...
On 5/29/2016 at 00:34, roughdiamond said:

1911 census sold confirm if he's a brother.

You'll see an image of Patrick's name on Coatbridge cenotaph here http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/

hello Roughdiamond

im sorry for bumping up an old thread ,but is there any reference to a Rodger McPhail KIA 15/6/15 in your book and to a James L McPhail who survived the war

kind regards

Matt McPhail

On 02/04/2017 at 21:20, Bastonjock said:

hello Roughdiamond

im sorry for bumping up an old thread ,but is there any reference to a Rodger McPhail KIA 15/6/15 in your book and to a James L McPhail who survived the war

kind regards

Matt McPhail

Sorry no McPhail's are you certain they were from Coatbridge

he was either from Blantyre or old monklands it was a long shot that he might have been listed in that book ,thank you for taking the time to reply and look up his name

Hi,  I'm looking for information on S/4957 Pte Andrew Maclean 10th Gordon highlanders missing 25/09/1915.  Born at Old Monkland and Enlisted at Coatbridge 

Not listed in the book although easily explained as NOK address on CWGC is given as Airdrie not Coatbridge.

John Gebbie
Birth Place: Barrhead, Renfrews
Residence: Coatbridge, Lanarks
Death Date: 25 Sep 1915
Death Place: France and Flanders...
Enlistment Place: Stirling
Regiment: Princess Louise's (Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders)
Battalion: 2nd Battalion
Regimental Number: 747
Type of Casualty: Killed in action age 22
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Hi There Do you have any info or photos on this man?

Many Thanks

Matt

Robert Stirrat. ww1
Born 1886
Service No:201755
Date of Death:06/08/1919...
Died of wounds received during WW1
Regiment/Service: Royal Scots Fusiliers

Additional Information:Husband of Agnes Fleming Brown (formerly Stirrat), of 44, Dunbeth Rd., Coatbridge.  Or this man please ?

Cheers Matt

Only additional info on John Gebbie is that he lived at "5 Turner Street" and "prior to enlistment he was a Moulder in Barrhead". Listed at the same address is 2052 Pte William Gebbie 1/6th Bn HLI who seems to have survived. No photos of either.

There is a Robert Stirrat but he was KIA 01/08/1916 and served with the HLI, your man's Widow most likely moved to Coatbridge after marriage hence the address. There's also a Robert Stirret but he survived his service with the Seaforths.

1 minute ago, roughdiamond said:

Only additional info on John Gebbie is that he lived at "5 Turner Street" and "prior to enlistment he was a Moulder in Barrhead". Listed at the same address is 2052 Pte William Gebbie 1/6th Bn HLI who seems to have survived. No photos of either.

There is a Robert Stirrat but he was KIA 01/08/1916 and served with the HLI, your man's Widow most likely moved to Coatbridge after marriage hence the address. There's also a Robert Stirret but he survived his service with the Seaforths.

Many Thanks for this its much appreciated

Cheers Matt

• 1 year later...

Hi. Im trying to find any information re my Grandfather's brother..  Pte William Eadie S.No. 1379  2nd Bn. Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

Died on 10 March 1915  Killed in Action F&F  (believed to be at the battle of Neuve-Chapelle) and buried at Richebourrg-L'Avoue. 

Although the Service Record Book in Edinburgh Castle lists him as born Coatbridge , I believe he was born in Cambuslang and resided in Coatbridge at the outbreak of the war. 

Although he is listed on the Le-Touret Memorial, I am trying to locate any memorial that he may have been added to in Scotland and any other info you are able to provide.

many thanks

6 hours ago, Bill Eadie said:

Hi. Im trying to find any information re my Grandfather's brother..  Pte William Eadie S.No. 1379  2nd Bn. Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

Died on 10 March 1915  Killed in Action F&F  (believed to be at the battle of Neuve-Chapelle) and buried at Richebourrg-L'Avoue. 

Although the Service Record Book in Edinburgh Castle lists him as born Coatbridge , I believe he was born in Cambuslang and resided in Coatbridge at the outbreak of the war. 

Although he is listed on the Le-Touret Memorial, I am trying to locate any memorial that he may have been added to in Scotland and any other info you are able to provide.

many thanks

He is almost certainly a pre-War Regular Soldier who enlisted mid-late 1908, this may account for the fact he's not listed in the book, the only Eadie is Pte Frank Eadie (no number) Royal Scots, who lived in 31 East Muiryhall Street, a Brother?

If William was still serving that may account for him not being in the book, however he's also not on Coatbridge War Memorial or Airdrie either which suggests he had no link to Coatbridge at the outbreak of War, his parents are his next of kin on his CWGC entry and it gives an address for them "9 Montgomery Place, Newton, Hallside (south west of Cambuslang), (South) Lanarkshire".

I don't know where you got the info he's buried in "Richebourg L'Avouie" as his CWGC entry shows him "Commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial" which means he has no known grave.

I'd suggest you read the tips in this link http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/ then once you've followed them and found what you can, make a new post in the Soldiers sub-forum for help.

Sam

Many thanks... I think the inaccuracies are probably due to info passed on being distorted through time. I found the entry to show that he has no known grave. 

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

I'm a bit late coming across your post, but I am trying to find out if my great-grandfather, Michael Owens, served in the First World War. He was living in Coatbridge with his wife Margaret (Maggie) at least from 1912 when one of their daughters was born until his death in 1938. I believe he was born between 1876 and 1878 so would have just been under the upper age limit when conscription was brought in.

Perhaps you could also help with my other great-grandfather, John Joseph Farrell (originally Farrelly) who was born in Ireland but lived in Old Monkland, from 1901 and later at Dundyva, Road, Coatbridge, (where I believe he would have been resident at the outbreak of the war) and then Drumpellier Crescent, Coatbridge. He was born in 1880 and died in 1963, so would have been in his thirties during the Great War.

I would be very grateful if you could help in any way.

Angie Owens

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/03/2019 at 11:50, Angel O said:

Hi there,

I'm a bit late coming across your post, but I am trying to find out if my great-grandfather, Michael Owens, served in the First World War. He was living in Coatbridge with his wife Margaret (Maggie) at least from 1912 when one of their daughters was born until his death in 1938. I believe he was born between 1876 and 1878 so would have just been under the upper age limit when conscription was brought in.

Hi Angie

There is no Michael Owen/Owens listed.

On 11/03/2019 at 11:50, Angel O said:

Perhaps you could also help with my other great-grandfather, John Joseph Farrell (originally Farrelly) who was born in Ireland but lived in Old Monkland, from 1901 and later at Dundyva, Road, Coatbridge, (where I believe he would have been resident at the outbreak of the war) and then Drumpellier Crescent, Coatbridge. He was born in 1880 and died in 1963, so would have been in his thirties during the Great War.

The only John Farrell I could find was 8001 John Farrell of the Royal Irish Fusiliers (RIF) who was awarded the DCM (2nd only to the Victoria Cross) as a Corporal for actions on 4th October 1915, later he transferred to the Machine Gun Corps (MGC) with the Army number 11696 and later that number changed to 7807483. His address is given as 6 Douglas St and prior to deployment he worked at Messrs. Arnott and Company, Boilermakers, you'd have to dig further in voter rolls to see if he's your man.

He arrived in France with the 1st Bn on 22nd August 1914, his Army number then of 8001 is for a man who enlisted mid 1903, the date he arrived in France suggests he was a mobilised Reservist as an ex-Regular. He'd have left the Army in 1908 at the earliest, but would have been liable for mobilisation for a further 7 years, hence the employer listed above.

The later 7807483 number was issued in 1920 meaning this John Farrell was still serving in the Army then.

When were his children born, when did he marry?

Regards

Sam

Edited by roughdiamond

If he served post-War his records may still exist, and in which case could be applied for to the MOD.

Cheers, Pat