Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I am able to assist with Coatbridge soldiers

irnbru1970

Hello I am also looking for a soldier from Coatbridge. The family had been in Old Monkland for generations.

John Russell Private S-27283 Royal Highlanders. He survived the war.

Guest Jane Tedford

Hi Sam

Thank you so much for looking him up for me. Sad to read that there is no photo of him. However, grateful for the info that he worked in the Tinplate Works before rejoining his unit for the war.

Regards

Jane

A big well done Sam. Thanks for posting the photograph of Pte Docherty. It is a fabulous book is it not?

Aye Rob.

Hello I am also looking for a soldier from Coatbridge. The family had been in Old Monkland for generations.

John Russell Private S-27283 Royal Highlanders. He survived the war.

No John Russell of the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) in the book I'm afraid, do you know an address?

Sam

It is a fabulous book is it not?

Aye Rob.

Hi Rob

It is a fantastic resource, but it does have the disadvantage of listing many men by their training Bn's e.g. My Grandfather is listed as 3rd Gordons but served in Italy with the 2nd and my Gt Uncle whose photo from the book is my user photo is listed as 3rd Bn Connaught Rangers but was KIA with the 5th Bn.

Sadly many of these errors are on the Cenotaph too.

Sam

No John Russell of the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) in the book I'm afraid, do you know an address?

Sam

On the 1911 census he was living at 283D Bank Street, he joined up in Nov 1917

Kim

You are correct Sam, I have came across this myself a couple of times, but in the preface the author does mention this as one of the difficulties in the preparation of the book. As you are aware Sam the book was printed in 1919, but I wonder when Rev Samuel Lindsey started gathering details and information it must have been early on in the war? But as you said it is still a wonderful resource.

Aye Rob.

Sam

On the 1911 census he was living at 283D Bank Street, he joined up in Nov 1917

Kim

Hi Kim

I've got him, as you'll see from my posts with Rob above, the book lists men in many cases by the unit they trained with, in Johns case it shows the entry below:

post-34049-0-64712000-1407433742_thumb.j

What this tells me is that it's likely John trained with the "F. and F. Yeomanry" (Fife and Forfar Yeomanry) before being sent abroad sometime after 1st Jan 1916 as he doesn't have a 1914 or 1914-15 Star medal http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/themedals.html

Interestingly the 1/1st Bn F&F Yeomanry as you can see here in this link http://www.1914-1918.net/fifeyeo.htm from "The long Long Trail (LLT)" became the 14th Bn Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) on 21st December 1916 and joined the 74th (Yeomanry) Div serving in Palestine then France, this is also from the LLT and shows the movements and main battles of the Div http://www.1914-1918.net/74div.htm does this tie in with what you know about him?

So there is a likely hood that he joined the 14th Bn after Dec 1916 as if he'd served with them prior to that he'd be listed on his Medal card as firstly F&F Yeomanry then Royal Highlanders. You must bear in mind that the Medal Card only listed the unit a man served with in a theatre of War.

Can I ask where you got his service number from?

Sam

• 4 months later...

hi all,

Just offering to assist anyone with queries about soldiers from the Coatbridge area - I have access to : Coatbridge and the Great War by Rev Samuel Lyndsay 1919, which lists all of the soldiers from this area for the duration, their units, occupations, details of how they died if relevant, street names as well as hundreds of photographs of them too.

Just drop me a reply here - and I will get back with info asap,

cheers

John

Hi John I am looking for information re a John Callaghan from Coatbridge WW1 my great uncle Ann M

Hi John I am looking for information re a John Callaghan from Coatbridge WW1 my great uncle Ann M

Ann

Do you have any more info, his address in 1911 perhaps, whether he survived or not?

Sam

There are details of a Private.12914. James Callaghan.1st Bn. Gordon Highlanders. KIA August 18th 1916. Prior to enlistment he was employed with Messer's Hamilton and Calder. Boiler Works He resided at 16 Lang Street Coatbridge. (This may not be your GF.)

There is a photograph of James I will scan and post it later.. Aye Rob.

There's a 4713 Pte John Callaghan 10th Bn Gordon Highlanders, home address 36 Middle Row, Rosehall.

I can't see a Medal Card for him with this number, this maybe because many of those listed were by their initial number and Regiment whilst training and only their details while serving in a Theatre of War appear on their Medal Cards.

Sam

Ann

Do you have any more info, his address in 1911 perhaps, whether he survived or not?

Sam

in the 1911 census his address is Buchanan St Coatbridge he is 16 years old

Sam you are correct Sir. How did I miss that one??

Aye Rob.

• 2 months later...

Hello I am looking for any information into Pte John Sloan number S/17677 of the 1st Battalion Gordon Highlanders who was a recipient of the Military Medal.

Guest hummingbirdair

Hello,

looking for any info and photo on l/cpl William Duffy HLI , died 1916 in France, buried in Loos Cemetary.

He was my great Uncle. My father remembers a photo of him in the family home as a child, and he was named after him. Would love to have a photo, or a description of where he served,and which battle he perished in.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Mary

How could I have missed this fantastic thread? If it's possible to get a lookup I'd be very grateful for any information on my grandfather's older brother, afraid I don't know a regiment but he was in the army I believe.

John SINCLAIR, of 104 Alexander Street, Old Monkland. He was the son of a Coatbridge saddler and in 1911 was 18 and a clerk at the Malleable Iron Works; he survived the war.

Many thanks, Pat.

Hello,

looking for any info and photo on l/cpl William Duffy HLI , died 1916 in France, buried in Loos Cemetary.

He was my great Uncle. My father remembers a photo of him in the family home as a child, and he was named after him. Would love to have a photo, or a description of where he served,and which battle he perished in.

Mary

Hello Mary, and welcome to the forum. No listing for him in the CB Book Is there any chance your GU was born in Shotts. Lanarkshire ??

Aye Rob.

How could I have missed this fantastic thread? If it's possible to get a lookup I'd be very grateful for any information on my grandfather's older brother, afraid I don't know a regiment but he was in the army I believe.

John SINCLAIR, of 104 Alexander Street, Old Monkland. He was the son of a Coatbridge saddler and in 1911 was 18 and a clerk at the Malleable Iron Works; he survived the war.

Many thanks, Pat.

According to the book he was a 2/Lt Royal Field Artillery (RFA) and prior to War was a "clerk with Scottish Iron and Steel Company"

post-34049-0-13813200-1427970246_thumb.j

Sam

Hello,

Mary

Mary

The only William Duffy listed was Royal Dublin Fusiliers and later Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) and he survived the War, I'd advise you start a new post to get more help.

Sam

Hello I am looking for any information into Pte John Sloan number S/17677 of the 1st Battalion Gordon Highlanders who was a recipient of the Military Medal.

Address given as 26 Sunnyside Road, has 2 entries, one showing 1st Bn the other 1/7th.

Sam