Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I am able to assist with Coatbridge soldiers

irnbru1970

Sharon

In addition to the info Rob has posted, there's also a photo of Alexander, you need to make 5 posts then you can PM me your email address if you want a copy, don't post it on the open forum. The photo is a head and shoulders shot of him in uniform.

Robert

Done.

Sam

Sharon. This is Able Seaman Alexander Upton.

Cheers Rob

post-56-0-13137800-1361863568_thumb.jpg

Hello Teresa.

Pte. 8814. Charles Cannovan. 1st Battalion Highland Light Infantry. Killed in action on the 8th of March 1916. Resided 206 Buchanan Street. Prior to enlistment he was employed in the British Tube Works.

L/Cpl. 769. John. Oswald. 3rd Battalion Highland Light Infantry. Killed in action 16th of May 1915. Resided 190. Bank Street.. Prior to enlistment he was employed as a ticket collector at Sunnyside Station.

post-56-0-85917200-1361864539_thumb.jpg

post-56-0-09395700-1361864576_thumb.jpg

Hello Teresa. Regarding Cannovan.. I think that there is a bit of a typo in the book the photograph he is listed as John but the write up he is Charles.

Cheers Rob

Haven`t been on in a while but I have ALL newspaper clippings re: the men from Coatbridge from the A/C Advert, C/B Exp and C/B Leader from 1913. Its a thick folder. Also have the book that started me off.

Well done John, Rob, rd. The men who left from the Iron Burgh will never be forgotten

Hi John could you please check Pte CANNAVAN.. I am getting two names John and Charles. Are they one in the same??

Aye Rob

HI John

Hope you are having a good day and still have access to you book.

I am looking for anything you have in your book for; UPTON ALEX.,AB.,RND listed on the war memorial in Coatbridge. He was my Grandfathers brother.

Regards

Sharon

Sharon. I have quite a bit of info on Alexander. My uncle was Sanny Upton and we grew up together in Shawhead. Please pm me your email address. I previously sent this info to my pal Sam Hannah who I believe was also related

Hi John could you please check Pte CANNAVAN.. I am getting two names John and Charles. Are they one in the same??

Aye Rob

Rob, Its Charles. Pm me your email again mate. I have a clipping from the Coatbridge Leader 22nd April 1916 re: Charles

John Your message box is full.... Rob.

Hi John,

There is one I am interested in that I know came from the Coatbridge area and actually worked for a bank in Coatbridge.

He is Pte. Alexander Robertson 044605 8th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment.

He was born in Old Monkland but not sure if this was a street in Coatbridge or it is an actual place.

If it is not to much trouble could you also check if there are any other men listed that were associated, attached or served

with the Gloucestershire Regiment.

Many thanks,

Simon.

He is Pte. Alexander Robertson 044605 8th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment.

He lived in 36 Finlaystone Street Coatbridge, Old Monkland is an area of Coatbridge, there are 2 others listed:

235224 Pte Alexander Cunningham 2/4th Bn, 58 Bank Street.

31875 Pte Robert Rowatt 9th Bn, 38 Main Street.

Sam

Sam,

Many thanks for your reply.

Simon.

• 3 weeks later...

May I please have some help with Robert Ellis, No 70015. I have the CWGC and SDGW info and wondered if there was anything else that might help me please?

Thanking you most kindly in advance.

Tom

Tom. Robert Ellis is mentioned in the Coatbridge book, but sorry no details .. "Ellis R. Driver. 70015 Coatbridge" listed under Royal Regiment of Artillery.

Aye Rob.

Hi John

This is a bit of a stretch but is Dykehead and Bargeddie too far from Coatbridge to be included?

I have a Plaque and Trio to S/17990 Pte John Campbell, 5th Cameron Highlanders.

Died 24th August 1916.

Hope you can help but not holding my breath.

All the best

Alun

Alun No mention of your John Campbell in the Coatbridge book. I did notice in SDGW he was born in Dykehead, Lanarkshire, and enlisted in Edinburgh. Could that be Dykehead. Shotts by any chance?

Aye Rob

Thanks anyway Rob, I appreciate it.

Kind regards.

Tom.

• 1 year later...

Hi just found this thread. If anyone still monitoring it can I ask if any information/picture in the book on the following soldier.

Private 7342 James Docherty.

Killed in Action France 29th September 1915.

6th Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers.

Commemorated on Coatbridge War Memorial.

Thanks

Hondolane. James Docherty is listed in the Memorial Book. 7342. Private James Docherty 6th Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers. He is listed in the book as KIA 25/9/15 ?? Prior to enlistment James was employed as a ticket collector at Langloan station, he resided at 68b Kildonan Street.

There is a photograph of him in the book but my scanner is on the fritz. Another GWF member will probably post the photograph.

Aye Rob.

Hi Rob

Thanks for that information. If you get the scanner fixed or if someone else can post me a photo I will be very grateful.

Thanks

Hondo. As soon as I get my scanner back on the go I will scan and post James Docherty's photograph for you.

Aye Rob.

Guest Jane Tedford

Hi John

I discovered the existence of this amazing book today. I would be beyond delighted if you could help me.

My paternal Great Grandfather is Charles Tedford of the Royal Irish Fusiliers. He is on the Coatbridge Memorial - died 25th April 1915, Battle of St Juliene. NKG. On the Menin Gate.

I have no idea what he looks like. No photo's exist.

Is there perchance a photo of him in this book?

He lived at 2 Bank Lane, Coatbridge.

Yours in anticipation

Jane Stirling (nee Tedford)

Hi John

I discovered the existence of this amazing book today. I would be beyond delighted if you could help me.

My paternal Great Grandfather is Charles Tedford of the Royal Irish Fusiliers. He is on the Coatbridge Memorial - died 25th April 1915, Battle of St Juliene. NKG. On the Menin Gate.

I have no idea what he looks like. No photo's exist.

Is there perchance a photo of him in this book?

He lived at 2 Bank Lane, Coatbridge.

Yours in anticipation

Jane Stirling (nee Tedford)

Jane

Sadly there is no image of him, the only thing you may not have is it states "He was emplyed in Tinplate works, Coatbank Street".

Sam

Hi Rob

Thanks for that information. If you get the scanner fixed or if someone else can post me a photo I will be very grateful.

Thanks

I have an electronic of the book, here you go.

Sam

post-34049-0-59864900-1407341059_thumb.j