Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I am able to assist with Coatbridge soldiers

irnbru1970

Hi John, I was wondering if you could help me with these Coatbridge men, Private robert falls, s/n 7881 royal inniskilling fusiliers

joseph sloan private s/n 5867 royal scots fusiliers , private thomas crozier s/n 11062 , royal inniskilling fusiliers

william burns private s/n4750 gordon highlanders, thanking you so mutch, all the very best yours inniskilling

John

Wondered if you had any Officers of the Seaforth Highlanders who died?

Stuart

hi Stuart,

There are 3 listed under the Roll of Honour for the Seaforth Highlanders. The first two dont have dates of death and I dont seem to see them on the Commonwealth War Graves site? There are photos of the 3 if you require.

Captain William Birnie, adjutant (M.C.) 163 Dundyvan Road, 1/5th Battalion

He made a personal recon under heavy fire and brought back valuable information as to the situation. His gallantry in the forward area on this occasion greatly assisted in restoring a somewhat critical situation. Prior to enlistment Captain Birnie was private secretary to the manager, Grosvenor Hotel, London.

Lieut Charles G. Birnie 163 Dundyvan Road, 1/5th Battalion

Prior to enlistment Lieut Birnie was employed as a clerk in Smith and McLean's Ironworks office, Milnewood, Mossend.

2nd Lieut H. Cecil Duncan, student in Arts, Glasgow University.

December 1914 commissioned to 10th Battalion. October 1915, France - transferred to 8th Battalion. February 1917 made Acting Captain. April 1917 severly wounded in Battle of Arras. He is the son of the Rev. Hugh Duncan, Garturk Parish Church.

Hi John, I was wondering if you could help me with these Coatbridge men, Private robert falls, s/n 7881 royal inniskilling fusiliers

joseph sloan private s/n 5867 royal scots fusiliers , private thomas crozier s/n 11062 , royal inniskilling fusiliers

william burns private s/n4750 gordon highlanders, thanking you so mutch, all the very best yours inniskilling

hi,

sorry there isnt any of those listed under the regiments in the book.

thanks

J

hello,

I am interested in the men who died between 31/7/1917 and 10/11/1917 thirth battle of ieper

this is to complete the passchendaele archives

I'll see if I can come up with the regiment

but there is no hurry, I only finished 40 of the 3000 I have at the moment

kind regards

sabine

Hi John

I'm interested in name, number and address of any Royal Welsh Fusiler that you may have please

TIA

Hywyn

Sorry Hywyn,

searched through the book and even misc regiments - not one Welsh regiment ! They even had American and South African!

hi Stuart,

There are 3 listed under the Roll of Honour for the Seaforth Highlanders. The first two dont have dates of death and I dont seem to see them on the Commonwealth War Graves site? There are photos of the 3 if you require.

Captain William Birnie, adjutant (M.C.) 163 Dundyvan Road, 1/5th Battalion

He made a personal recon under heavy fire and brought back valuable information as to the situation. His gallantry in the forward area on this occasion greatly assisted in restoring a somewhat critical situation. Prior to enlistment Captain Birnie was private secretary to the manager, Grosvenor Hotel, London.

Lieut Charles G. Birnie 163 Dundyvan Road, 1/5th Battalion

Prior to enlistment Lieut Birnie was employed as a clerk in Smith and McLean's Ironworks office, Milnewood, Mossend.

2nd Lieut H. Cecil Duncan, student in Arts, Glasgow University.

December 1914 commissioned to 10th Battalion. October 1915, France - transferred to 8th Battalion. February 1917 made Acting Captain. April 1917 severly wounded in Battle of Arras. He is the son of the Rev. Hugh Duncan, Garturk Parish Church.

John

Thanks for looking. You say there is not a date of death for the first 2, is there a date of death for Herbert Cecil Duncan - his medal card puts him still alive and in India post-war?

Thanks

Stuart

John

Thanks for looking. You say there is not a date of death for the first 2, is there a date of death for Herbert Cecil Duncan - his medal card puts him still alive and in India post-war?

Thanks

Stuart

hi Stuart,

thanks for pointing this out - I was a little confused by this too when I saw your post!But on looking through the whole book and doing random searches on the Officers of the regiments it looks like its the way this book has been arranged.

The Roll of Honour isnt just to those that died but to those that served.

So they had a section for Officers alongwith their service description and if they died - so there are officers with photographs and who didnt actually die in the War (so thats my error).

Next is the soliders (everyday guys and regulars) who served and died along with a photograph and decription of how / where they died.

Then there is a section for those soldiers who served and survived but with no photograph but giving a home address, regiment number and battalion.

Sorry I hope this clears it up?

thanks

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

My Great Grandfather was Alexander Stewart.

I believe Alexander was a Coatbridge resident at the time of joining up.

His medal card gives his service numbers as:

Highland Light Infantry - 8788

Royal Scots Fusiliers - 21514

His date of entry to France was 7.4.1915

According to my Grandad he received a bayonet wound and this is backed up by the award of the Silver War Badge.

He survived and was discharged on 19.3.1919.

Any further information would be greatfully received, especially a photograph although I know this may be unlikely.

Thanks in advance,

Gavin

hi all,

Just offering to assist anyone with queries about soldiers from the Coatbridge area - I have access to : Coatbridge and the Great War by Rev Samuel Lyndsay 1919, which lists all of the soldiers from this area for the duration, their units, occupations, details of how they died if relevant, street names as well as hundreds of photographs of them too.

Just drop me a reply here - and I will get back with info asap,

cheers

John

Hi John,

My Great Grandfather was Alexander Stewart.

I believe Alexander was a Coatbridge resident at the time of joining up.

His medal card gives his service numbers as:

Highland Light Infantry - 8788

Royal Scots Fusiliers - 21514

His date of entry to France was 7.4.1915

According to my Grandad he received a bayonet wound and this is backed up by the award of the Silver War Badge.

He survived and was discharged on 19.3.1919.

Any further information would be greatfully received, especially a photograph although I know this may be unlikely.

Thanks in advance,

Gavin

hi Gavin,

Your Great Grandfather is listed in the book under the Royal Scots Fusiliers - but as he was not killed (thankfully!) there is no photograph as only photos of the dead or POWs or officers were published.

This is what it says:

Stewart, Alexander, Pte.

6 Quarry Row, Gartsherrie

There isnt a battalion number unfortunately. Do you know where he served? Also did he have any brothers that I can check for you?

Hi John,

Thanks for your lighting-fast reply.

I shall have to do a little bit of research elsewhere in order to answer your questions and then I may have

to come back to you.

Thanks again,

Gavin

hi Gavin,

Your Great Grandfather is listed in the book under the Royal Scots Fusiliers - but as he was not killed (thankfully!) there is no photograph as only photos of the dead or POWs or officers were published.

This is what it says:

Stewart, Alexander, Pte.

6 Quarry Row, Gartsherrie

There isnt a battalion number unfortunately. Do you know where he served? Also did he have any brothers that I can check for you?

hi all,

Just offering to assist anyone with queries about soldiers from the Coatbridge area - I have access to : Coatbridge and the Great War by Rev Samuel Lyndsay 1919, which lists all of the soldiers from this area for the duration, their units, occupations, details of how they died if relevant, street names as well as hundreds of photographs of them too.

Just drop me a reply here - and I will get back with info asap,

cheers

John

hi John, i know its a long shot but i am trying to trace two brothers William and John Thompson...all i know is that they were probably from the Lanarkshire area, there was once a picture of them in Kilted uniform, and both died.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Robert

Sorry to hi-jack my namesakes thread but i`m researching all the men on the Coatbridge Memorial and i also have a copy of the book. Inniskilling, there is no Robert Falls however there is a Samuel Falls born in the same place (Tempo). Pte Joseph Sloan`s photo is under the Royal Scots (unable to post it at the moment). Samuel, Robert and Joseph are all mentioned in the booklet Scotlands Orange Lodges at War. Hope this helps

John

hi John, i know its a long shot but i am trying to trace two brothers William and John Thompson...all i know is that they were probably from the Lanarkshire area, there was once a picture of them in Kilted uniform, and both died.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Robert

Robert,

The book is listed by regiment so if you could find that out it would be easier. There`s a John Thomson (HLI) and a William Thomson (Seaforths) on the Coatbridge Memorial. Different addresses in the book though. Also a Wm in the R.F.A

Robert,

The book is listed by regiment so if you could find that out it would be easier. There`s a John Thomson (HLI) and a William Thomson (Seaforths) on the Coatbridge Memorial. Different addresses in the book though. Also a Wm in the R.F.A

thanks mate....i have found them on the Bellshill memorial....have traced down Johns details am now working on Williams....they were in Argyle & sutherlands

tthanks again

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

john,

i am new to this site and noticed that you have information on coatbridge soldiers. I have two relatives that fought and died in the first world war and would love any info you have , especially any photos.

Private William O'connor 33212 7th battalion Royal Scots died 27th August 1918 possibly at the battle of the scarpe on the somme.

Private John O'Connor 10588 2nd battalion Connaught Rangers died 7th November 1914 ypres.

any information would be greatfully recieved.

colin.

• 3 weeks later...

hi Wesley,

unfortunately the book doesnt say where the men originally came from - only their units and the addresses & occupations of where they lived in the Coatbridge area. I know that there would be 70%-80% of the men living there would be Irish descent - but the best I can offer is with names - there are just too many to list at the moment!

John1970,

Here are the three we're interested in

• 11701 Barton, Patrick 21/03/1918
  • 20773 McConnell, Wilson 01/07/1916
  • 5867 Sloan, Joseph 02/11/1914

Regards

• 4 months later...

Hi John,

Are you still able to do look ups for people please? If so I would be really grateful for any information on the following two soldiers please. They are both listed on the Coatbridge Memorial so I am hopeful that there is something about them in the Samuel Lindsay book .

Private Charles Cannavan

died 8 March 1916

Highland Light Infantry

1st Battalion

number 8814

L/ Corporal John Oswald

died 16th May 1915

Highland Light Infantry

2nd Battalion

number 769

Thank you for any help/details you can give.

Kind Regards

Teresa

• 1 year later...
Guest coatbridge

HI John

Hope you are having a good day and still have access to you book.

I am looking for anything you have in your book for; UPTON ALEX.,AB.,RND listed on the war memorial in Coatbridge. He was my Grandfathers brother.

Regards

Sharon

HI John

Hope you are having a good day and still have access to you book.

I am looking for anything you have in your book for; UPTON ALEX.,AB.,RND listed on the war memorial in Coatbridge. He was my Grandfathers brother.

Regards

Sharon

Sharon

I don't know if John's still monotoring this thread, but I have a copy of the book on disc, I'll have a look later today (on night shift) if no one's got back to you.

Sam

Coatbridge. Able Seaman. CZ/2336. Alexander Upton. Anson Battalion. Died of wounds. 11th May 1915. Resided 8. Crichton Street. Prior to enlistment Alexander was employed as a miner at Rosehall Colliery.

Rob.

Hi Sam

Your PM is full. Can you clear it so I can send you one please..

thanks and regards

regards

Robert