Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I am able to assist with Coatbridge soldiers

irnbru1970

hi all,

Just offering to assist anyone with queries about soldiers from the Coatbridge area - I have access to : Coatbridge and the Great War by Rev Samuel Lyndsay 1919, which lists all of the soldiers from this area for the duration, their units, occupations, details of how they died if relevant, street names as well as hundreds of photographs of them too.

Just drop me a reply here - and I will get back with info asap,

cheers

John

Hi John,

Is there any mention of Pte.C.McGarritty 3824 5th Connaught Rangers, I am not sure but I think he may ahve been fron Coatbridge.

Regards,

Murrough.

Hi John,

Is there any mention of Pte.C.McGarritty 3824 5th Connaught Rangers, I am not sure but I think he may ahve been fron Coatbridge.

Regards,

Murrough.

hi Murrough

I will let you know on Tuesday morning as its on my desk in the office- there are definately Connaught Rangers in the book ....

Just checked and there is a Pte Robert McGarrity, 31 Burnside Place serial 8152 in the Connaught Rangers

- it looks like he survived the war as there is no description of how he died, but doesnt give his Battalion and there is no image of him.

sorry it doesnt assist you with your research.

cheers

J

Hello John

Welcome to GWF I just saw your offer for information on men from the Coatbridge area, I am researching the 2nd Battalion The Black Watch. Any help would be appreciated, Here are some of the men I have come over so far .

PTE S/8744 Robert Wortherspoon (2 coy)

PTE 3/2891 James Blackwood

PTE 1379 William Eadie (25)

John it would be helpful for any information on men who served with the 2nd Battalion Black Watch.

Best regards

Ian

Hello John

Welcome to GWF I just saw your offer for information on men from the Coatbridge area, I am researching the 2nd Battalion The Black Watch. Any help would be appreciated, Here are some of the men I have come over so far .

PTE S/8744 Robert Wortherspoon (2 coy)

PTE 3/2891 James Blackwood

PTE 1379 William Eadie (25)

John it would be helpful for any information on men who served with the 2nd Battalion Black Watch.

Best regards

Ian

hi Ian,

Robert Wotherspoon, Private, 71 Whifflet Street, 8744 2nd Battalion, Missing since 21st January 1916. Prior to enlistment he was a merchant in Coatbridge. There is an image of him and will upload later today.

Unfortunately I cannot see Privates Blackwood and Eadie in the section on the Blackwatch. There are a few others though part of the 2nd Battalion which I could list for you - (well later as I am at work) - who survived and of those who were KIA. So please let me know if you want the names and details of these.

cheers

John

hi Ian,

Robert Wotherspoon, Private, 71 Whifflet Street, 8744 2nd Battalion, Missing since 21st January 1916. Prior to enlistment he was a merchant in Coatbridge. There is an image of him and will upload later today.

Unfortunately I cannot see Privates Blackwood and Eadie in the section on the Blackwatch. There are a few others though part of the 2nd Battalion which I could list for you - (well later as I am at work) - who survived and of those who were KIA. So please let me know if you want the names and details of these.

cheers

John

Thanks John

for the quick reply , Thanks for your help yes I would like any info on any men that survived and were killed . I am Researching GGranfather but my research has grown to the whole of the 2nd Battalion and I am now making up a data base on the Battalion.

thanks John for your help.

best regards

Ian

Thanks John

for the quick reply , Thanks for your help yes I would like any info on any men that survived and were killed . I am Researching GGranfather but my research has grown to the whole of the 2nd Battalion and I am now making up a data base on the Battalion.

thanks John for your help.

best regards

Ian

Private Wotherspoon attached. I will over the next couple of days - add more info on the 2nd Battalion for you.

J

post-57436-0-70109000-1304421593.jpg

Private Wotherspoon attached. I will over the next couple of days - add more info on the 2nd Battalion for you.

J

Thanks John

its nice to see a face ,rather just his name

many thanks

Ian

Hi Ian

Your man 3/2891 James Blackwood is in the "Peoples Journal" with the address of 43 or 45 High Street Dundee.

( Enlisted Dundee.)

Gary.

Hi Ian

Your man 3/2891 James Blackwood is in the "Peoples Journal" with the address of 43 or 45 High Street Dundee.

( Enlisted Dundee.)

Gary.

Thanks Gary

Yes that helps me thanks for the information

Cheers Ian

hi Ian,

cheers

John

sorry john It looks like Privates Blackwood & Eadie were born in Coatbridge but one enlisted Dundee & and 1 enlisted Cowdenbeath

Ian

hi all,

Just offering to assist anyone with queries about soldiers from the Coatbridge area - I have access to : Coatbridge and the Great War by Rev Samuel Lyndsay 1919, which lists all of the soldiers from this area for the duration, their units, occupations, details of how they died if relevant, street names as well as hundreds of photographs of them too.

Just drop me a reply here - and I will get back with info asap,

cheers

John

Any men from Cookstown area(Co.Tyrone).or Maghereafelt or Moneymore(Co.Londonderry) on Memorial? A book of the area' war dead FOR Cookstown area was published 3 years ago but any information from Coat bridge would be appreciated.

We hope to put all our book + new discoveries on line by end of year.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Wesley Wright

2nd Battalion Survived:

Anderson, Robert Pte, 70 Church St, 20007

Arbuckle, John, Pte, 34 Calder St, 22759

Bell, James D. Pte, 1 Cullen St, 22302

Boyle, Charles, Pte, Inveresk Place, 5466 2/6th Battalion (does this mean he served in Battalions 2 & 6 ?)

Campbell, Edward, Pte, 39 Ronald St, 6255

Coleman, Robert, Pte, 166 Buchanan St, 202555 2/4th Battalion

Crawford, John Pte, 1 South Main Street, 13193

Doyle, Thomas Pte, 13 Turner St, 202733 2/4th Battalion

Farquharson, Alexander, Pte, Church St, 5211 2/7th Battalion

Grace, Bernard, Pte, 41 Hutchieson St, 8232

Murphy, William, Pte, 12 South Square, Gartsherrie, 8165

McGeough, Frank, Pte, 169 Main St, 6255 2/6th Battalion

McKenzie, John, Pte, 24 Whifflet St, 5693 2/7th Battalion

Newlands, David, Pte, 6 Crichton St, 24188, 2/1st Battalion

O'Breen, Thomas, Pte, 15 Calder St, 8205

Robertson, John, Pte, 41 Burnbank St, 26798

Robertson, William, Sergt, 163 Sunnyside Road, 418895

Scott, Robert W. Pte, 454 Dundyvan Road 202561 2/4 Battalion

Stewart, Allan, Pte, 11 Brewsterford Place, 4029

Swan, George, Lance-Corpl, 86 Dundyvan Road, 8035

Tracey, Owen, Pte, 41 Buchanan St, 20086

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is a list of the 2nd Battalion Black Watch from Coatbridge are that died:

Culbert, Thomas Pte, Swallow Cottage, Calder 3180 KIA 9th May 1915, Bricklayer in Glasgow

Humm, Thomas, Sergt (DCM), Groveside Cottage, Kipps, 9260, KIA 21st Jan 1916. The deceased soldier received the Distinguished Conduct Medal and the Medal of St George for bravery in the field. He was a regular soldier.

Mathieson, Archie, Pte, 16e East Stewart St, (serial?) KIA 27th August 1914. Employed in Clyde Tube Works.

McMullan, Hugh, Pte, 2 Douglas St, 2742, Died of wounds, 21st December 1916

Ramsay, James, Lance-Corporal, 20 Wood St, 10536, Reported missing 22nd April 1916. Clerk in office of the Union Tube Works.

Robertson, William, Sergt, 169 Main St, 48897, KIA

Smith, Robert, Pte, 4 School St, 7103, KIA 25th Sept 1915. Employed Rochsolloch Ironworks.

Walker, James, Pte, 69 Alexander St, 10639. death notice? Employed as clerk in Stobcross Rivet and Bolt Works.

Wotherspoon, Robert, Pte, 71 Whifflet St, 8744, Missing since 1916. Merchant in Coatbridge.

Any men from Cookstown area(Co.Tyrone).or Maghereafelt or Moneymore(Co.Londonderry) on Memorial? A book of the area' war dead FOR Cookstown area was published 3 years ago but any information from Coat bridge would be appreciated.

We hope to put all our book + new discoveries on line by end of year.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Wesley Wright

hi Wesley,

unfortunately the book doesnt say where the men originally came from - only their units and the addresses & occupations of where they lived in the Coatbridge area. I know that there would be 70%-80% of the men living there would be Irish descent - but the best I can offer is with names - there are just too many to list at the moment!

Hi John

Just Going through your list ( Boyle,Charles, PTE,5466 2/6th Bn is a Territorial Battalion, which is Perthshire Battalion and Coleman, Robert PTE 202555 ,2/4th BN is City of Dundee Territorial Battalion , Farquharson,Alexander PTE 5211 2/7th Battalion which is the Fife Battalion .

the 2nd Battalion was regular Battalion which was based in India here is a link which should explain

http://www.1914-1918.net/blackwatch.htm

Thanks for list you have supplied

Cheers John

Ian

These are the images from the book of the men of the 2nd Battalion who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Hello John

thanks again for the quick response, and the pictures are great . My favourite is Sgt Humm DCM picture. This will help me with my research.

Cheers John

Ian

hi Ian,

just to let you know a little more about Humm, it is highly likely that he had a brother or other relative also from Coatbridge who fought in the war with the MGC - I know this as another member (gunner parr) was asking about him.

Humm, David, Pte. Groveside Cottage, Kipps, 18530, This soldier was found dead in bed on 2nd February 1919, in Northern Russia. Verdict of military authority - Death through natural causes.

cheers

John

I have access to : Coatbridge and the Great War by Rev Samuel Lyndsay 1919, which lists all of the soldiers from this area for the duration, their units, occupations, details of how they died if relevant, street names as well as hundreds of photographs of them too.cheers

John

Is this the copy held in Airdrie research Library?

John

Is this the copy held in Airdrie research Library?

hi,

its not the Airdrie one - its just that my work has an excellent library, archives and resources - Why do you ask?

cheers

J

hi,

its not the Airdrie one - its just that my work has an excellent library, archives and resources - Why do you ask?

cheers

J

Just curious as I've used the one in the Library regularly.

Sam

2nd Battalion Survived:

....The following is a list of the 2nd Battalion Black Watch from Coatbridge are that died:

Smith, Robert, Pte, 4 School St, 7103, KIA 25th Sept 1915. Employed Rochsolloch Ironworks.

Hi John,

Your offer is generous and I wonder if I can be cheeky and check that the book definitely has Robert Smith's date KIA as 25 Sept 1915?

The CWGC has a L/Cpl Robert G. Smith with number S/7103 of the 2nd Battalion Black Watch, who died on 9 May 1915, which matches info on the Scottish National War Memorial. I can't see any Robert Smiths of the Black Watch killed on 25 Sept, although there were three men of that name killed that day according to CWGC with one each in the Cameron Highlanders, the Gordons and the Border Regiment.

I'm curious as I've realised tonight on reading your post that there is an outside chance that Robert G Smith might be a relative of mine.

Best wishes

Brian