Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

OBE medal assistance

alexjj

Hi Alexj

The following image will give you all the information you need

Regards, Andrew

EDIT: to answer your question about why this medal is round and not a star like most other OBEs seem to be..............medal designs come & go. This particular medal design only lasted 5 years, hence it is relatively scare with only 2,000 issued. They are currently valued at 200 - 250 pounds in the 2011 Medal yearbook

post-47732-0-86512000-1304327684.jpg

It's not like other OBEs you have seen because it's not an OBE.

The meaning of OBE is "Officer of the Order of the British Empire" The item you illustrate is the Medal of the Order of the British Empire.

It co-existed with all 5 gardes of the Order for about 5 years when it was discontinued. Very few awards were made after 1920.

It was evetually replaced with the BEM (British Empire Medal) for either Gallantry (EGM) or Meritorious Service.

NGG

alexj, the Medal of the Order 1st type should be fairly easily researchable due to the limited numbers awarded many were awarded to Firefighters for the Raids on London during the Great War and other similar events if you post his details here you may have someone able to assist with further details...Your GGFs medal is somewhat of a rarity,possibly you have the award Certificate also??

HB :thumbsup:

Thank you all for your help. I've never really looked into it until a friend who was interested in medals asked me about it.

My grandfather just gave me this plus three war medals and didn't say much about them. This medal does have his name engraved around it. The case says OBE so I just took it as that (and my knowledge of the Orders and awards is limited too).

PTHBjl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PTHBjl.jpg

As you can see his name was Robert M (Murray?) Johnstone. I was told it was for his work relating to the disposal of mustard gas.

I do have the award letter which I can put on here this evening.

Alex,

What doe the other medals say and what are they? Can you put on pictures.

There is a Robert M Johnstone in the Medal Index Cards. Was Royal Engineers and may be the same man...RE may have been involved in gas disposal as described.

Rgds

Tim D

He is not listed in the OBE book upto 1921, may be a later award

Well as royalredcross has pointed out, that's because this award is the Medal of the Order of the British Empire and not an OBE

Alexj says he has the award letter for this medal dated 1920

I have another picture for you all (sorry for the delay):

j5Nj6l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/j5Nj6l.jpg

It clearly states Medal of the Order of the British Empire but I thought it just meant medal...!

The other medals are the 1914-1915 star, the British war medal and the Allied Victory Medal. These were awarded for service in the Royal Engineers, I have a letter for the "1915 Star".

Some pictures:

DcjlXl.jpg

ldQ8Rl.jpg

That's him with the latest Nokia.

So he was Royal Engineers and the medal was awarded in connection with War Service. Can you obtain his number and rank from the rear of the Star or the rims of the others two medals?

May determine whether is the same RE man outlined above or another. I have had a look in the London Gazette and can't locate the award to him...it may call for someone who know the tricks for searching. Stebie seems to be the guru and may be worth a PM.

Rgds

Tim D

So he was Royal Engineers and the medal was awarded in connection with War Service. Can you obtain his number and rank from the rear of the Star or the rims of the others two medals?

May determine whether is the same RE man outlined above or another. I have had a look in the London Gazette and can't locate the award to him...it may call for someone who know the tricks for searching. Stebie seems to be the guru and may be worth a PM.

Only one Robert M Johnstone of the RE's listed on the MIC's:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=3287875&queryType=1&resultcount=14

Description Medal card of Johnstone, Robert M

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Engineers 106518 Sapper

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/11

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Jobling J - Langley P

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

Yes, luckily, there is only one Robert M Johnstone of the RE's listed on the MIC's..............this should be him.............

EDIT: Alexj, perhaps you can confirm that this is the same regimental number impressed on the back of the 1914/15 star and on the rim of the BWM & Victory

post-47732-0-42733900-1304562843.jpg

Hopefully thats the man...but there are a lot of other Robert Johnstones! Second initials were often not used.

Does the number give any insight into what unit he was with?

Rgds

Tim

I can just make out the number as: 106518! (framed on the wall and I can't get to the medals)

Thanks again for your help and searching!

Thats great news mate. Just need to find his London Gazette entry for the OBE Medal. I can't find his number mentioned...so perhaps he did discharge before the end of the war and received it for services as a civilian as Phil has suggested.

Rgds

Tim D

Just need to find his London Gazette entry for the OBE Medal

London Gazette #31967, 7th July 1920, Page 7308. Link is here...http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31967/supplements/7308

The KING has been graciously pleased to confer the Medal of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire upon the undermentioned

persons for services in connection with the War which have been distinguished by great courage or self-sacrifice, or by exceptional

merit: —

Johnstone, Robert Murray.

For great courage in continuing to work in a poisonous atmosphere although repeatedly burned and gassed.

No service number mentioned so I assume the award was for services after he was discharged.

Regards

Steve

Cheers Steve,

Thats probably the only combo I didn't try!

Looked like he may have assisted at a munitions factory.

Rgds

Tim D

• 6 years later...

hello. I know this is an old link but wonder if anyone can help me. my Great Uncle was awarded an OBE  I believe for supplying timber to the British army during WW1 I would Love to know more about it if there is anything available? His name was Rene Schmidt, Belgian timber merchant

fullsizeoutput_522.jpeg.a87c66575d47e767e2a16b500222a57b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_523.jpeg.0342338162696660f6dad3aff80ae94f.jpeg

According to the MOBE book:

RENE, Schmidt was noted as Chief Foreman of Works at Armentieres.  Original recommendation dated 10.12.1917  -  was employed for a long period by the army as foreman.  Afforded valuable service in salving machinery in Armentieres whilst town was being bombarded.  Address noted as Reninghelst.

Norman