Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Middlesex MONS

Bayne

Hi Folks. I am not sure if this is the correct sub-forum for this topic.

I am preparing an article on Mons and in many of the books written about this little battle there is reference to a soldier(sometimes referred to as wounded) of the 4/Middlesex climbing onto the roof at Oburg station and holding off the enemy until he was killed.

My question is does anyone know the origin of this story and give me a reference to the original source.

Thanks in advance

Hi Folks. I am not sure if this is the correct sub-forum for this topic.

I am preparing an article on Mons and in many of the books written about this little battle there is reference to a soldier(sometimes referred to as wounded) of the 4/Middlesex climbing onto the roof at Oburg station and holding off the enemy until he was killed.

My question is does anyone know the origin of this story and give me a reference to the original source.

Thanks in advance

I have photos of the memorial at Obourg station if they would help.

Click on thew link below.

Al

http://www.flickr.com/photos/flintwich/

Thank you both. I am afraid I cannot rid myself of the suspicion that this story is one of the legends of the Great War that has, by the passage of time, become accepted as history. The 4/Middlesex history is rightly proud of what its men did that day but no mention of the fellow on the station roof.

john