Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fill in the blanks

Skipman

Am transcribing Bn diaries, and as usual there are quite a few words that are very difficult to make out. I will have quite a few of these, and any help will be much appreciated. Feel free to add your own, and number any queries.

1) 1st Bn Gordon Highlanders March 1916

317gmbm.jpg

(weather)Fine. Battalion spent ???????? in final preparations for attack.

Is ???????? forenoon? ( goes on to say they marched off at 3.30pm)

Cheers Mike

Definitely forenoon

Richard

definitely 'thick' IMHO -- the 'th' is the same as on 'throughout'

cheers Martin B

Thanks Martin.

A couple more

34g54dx.jpg

3) Fine Col Crawford left for Gordon Terrace to take over command of Bgde ???? ??? ????? invalided from shell shock. Kit inspection and refitting.

15x5v83.jpg

4) Stormy. At 3am A Coy marched to trenches and occupied support line to 10 RWF in captured ???? at St Eloi. Great delay in getting into position. No gumboots were available. Trenches

on an average 3 feet in water. A Coy badly shelled by 5.9 ???? ???? 22 casualties. 10 killed, 12 wounded. Remainder of ......

Mike

It looks like Gen Pratt invalided with shell shock (which either means that Generals DID get near the Front - or that they were less able to stand the effects of bombardment!)

I can't accept that the War Diary would comment on an OR by name, so presumably an officer of rank....

Perhaps Col Crawford took over the Brigade LINE (or vice, die to Gen Pratt having shell shock...

10th RWF in captured TRENCH??? Looks close to the word "trench" in the line above.......

First one - took over command vice Gen Pratt. Second one you have cropped a bit too much to read last

Cheers

First one - took over command vice Gen Pratt. Second one you have cropped a bit too much to read last

Cheers

That looks good david. do you get vice Generals?

will sort over-crop tomorrow.

Cheers mike

This might depend on the date we are looking at, Mike. ... "in captured mebu at St Eloi" ... a German acronym or abbreviation for a concrete bunker, and a term much in use by British officers by 1917.

This might depend on the date we are looking at, Mike. ... "in captured mebu at St Eloi" ... a German acronym or abbreviation for a concrete bunker, and a term much in use by British officers by 1917.

Thanks Chris. That looks very good. It's the 31st March 1916.Mebu is new one to me.

Mike

Sorry about my post Mike, I did a Broomers and forgot an apostrophe which would have made the post easier to read - wondered what hit my foot when typing it. :rolleyes:

Cheers

on an average 3 feet in water. A Coy badly shelled by 5.9 ???? ???? 22 casualties. 10 killed, 12 wounded. Remainder of ......

The first cropped word looks like "during". The second could be "night" or similar, which would fit the sense of the entry. He seems to have put "5s.9", to mean "5.9s"

Ron

I think I'm just about there. Would Chris's 'mebu' fit in for April 1916?

Stormy. At 3am A Company marched to trenches and occupied support line to 10?. Royal Welch Fusiliers in captured ???? (mebu) at St Eloi. Great delay in getting into position as no gumboots were available. Timber? on an average 3 foot in water. A Company badly shelled by 5.9 during morning?. 22 casualties 10 killed 12 wounded. Remainder of Battalion marched up in afternoon to ? trenches in relief of 10 Royal Welch Fusiliers-captured trenches. A company relieved with Welch and returned B Comp. Stormy night.

Mike

I think the word is Trenches, not Timber. It makes sense as Trenches on an average 3 feet in water. Also compare the word in question to trenches in the first sentence.

Keith

Thanks Keith. I think you are right.

i have done quite a few months of diaries, and this is the one I have had most trouble with. I have yet to do some of the 2nd Bn AIF, that will be a real challenge.

Cheers Mike

Mike, that has to be some of the worst handwriting outside of a doctor's surgery! I read the later part as Battalion marched up in afternoon to P trenches in relief of 10th Royal Welch Fusiliers in captured trenches but I doubt we'll make much sense of it without a map to show where P trenches were relative to the captured ones. Again, I think the word hat's been suggested as mebu is an even more badly-scrawled trenches.

Keith

Thanks again Keith. Again you may be right. an extremly badly written " trenches "

Glad to see it's not just me, who's struggling with it. Thanks for all help so far. There is more :D

Mike