Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British airship crash in Eemnes, Holland

Anzac16

I thought I have one of the afore mentioned pictures but could not find the German source book. In fact the downing of C27 was used as motif of German postcards. It looks like the following little picture from the Internet:

post-34175-0-60471700-1305030631.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Niecely done!

It is regreatable that nobodys seems to take notice of your final product. The C27 did not only meet one German seaplane. Friedrich Christiansen / Bernhard Wladicka got the "glory" but historians argue about who got really confirmation for this destroyed airship.

• 11 months later...

Thank you all for the above information. My wife is one of Capt. Kilburn's granddaughters and I had the privilege of knowning him in his later life. Gray Campbell Conning Kilburn (no hyphenation by the way; the two middle Christian names are old family names) held pilot's licence No. 90 if memory serves. After internment in Holland he returned briefly to the UK but then emigrated to S. Rhodesia where he farmed until the end of the Second World War. On return to England he raised Jersey cattle in Dorset and died in 1986. He once kindly took me through his photo albums; a quiet giant of a gentleman who almost brushed aside his airship days as though they were a mere inconvenience. (Anything but!!) I attach a photo of Kilburn (on the right) with his great friend Dixon, sadly lost in C27 of course. I'm afraid I don't know anything of the fate of Kilburn's crew; only wish I could go back 30 years and ask him!post-90657-0-67428200-1339436825_thumb.j

Also of interest might be this photo of C27's crew lost in the North Sea (Dixon far right). We lent Gray Kilburn's photo albums to the Airship Heritage Trust many years ago; they include the first images they had of the layout at Pulham. The albums then went to the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton and they have copies available for research. (These scans are copyright of the Fleet Air Arm Museum, by the way.)

• 3 years later...

Bit old topic but today i was fortunate to see a origional pace of the C26.
Its a small part of the skin.

IMG_9050.jpgIMG_9051.jpgIMG_9054.jpg

• 9 months later...