Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British airship crash in Eemnes, Holland

Anzac16

I know that there in 1917 in the town of Eemnes her in Holland a British Airship crashed.

I would like to have more information about this ariship if this is possible.

I myself have two photos of this crash but would like to know where is he exactly crashed?, what was it target?, what was the name/number of the airship?, what happend with the crew?, what happend with the airship and where ther victims in this crash?

I allready send out a mail to Eemnes but didn't got any wanser yet

3018265231aa3a38ce96o.jpg

3019095110327615e4cco.jpg

Thank you

Its a non rigid Coastal Airship (blimp) used by the Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) for patrols (usually anti submarine) over the North Sea. As such it would have no specific target (unless the Germans were operating U Boats in the Dutch canals :whistle: ). Probably blown inland (possibly after engine failure). I'll have alook and see if there is any account of one lost over the Netherlands.

The Ship is RNAS Coastal Class C26 commanded by Flight Lt Kilburn. He took the airship out to search for the missing C27 whose commander was a close friend (C27 was never found and is believed to have been shot down by German sealplanes). The wind got up increasing fuel consumption. The ship ran out of fuel and drifted over the Netherlands. The crew managed to land at Portugal near Dordrecht (no mean feat in an unpowered blimp with no ground handling crew) but the ship broke loose from them in the wind and later came down, (unmanned) at Eemnes

Thank you very very much

Now i hope to find out the exact spot where it came down

Glad to help

Please remember to let us all know if you do locate the spot.

Christiansen had shot down C27 on 11 December 1917.Gray Campbell-Corning Kilburn (btw he owned early airship and aircraft licenses) and crew flew from Pulham to search for his downed comrades. C27 ran out of fuel and drifted across the North Sea to Dordrecht in Holland [not Portugal]. Stranded on a roof at Eemnes as mentioned. For more information look at this old thread:

Discovered this which might throw some light if translated. I think it says that the radio operator had to take to his parachute (Spencer produced a special 'chute for airship crews)

Op 11 december 1917 was de C27 vanuit Pulham

vertrokken voor een patrouille. Noordelijk van het

Kanaal werd de C27 ontdekt door de bemanning

van een Duitse Hansa-Brandenburg W.12, die

vanuit Zeebrugge was opgestegen. De C27 was een

makkelijke prooi, en stortte brandend in zee (de

ondergang van de C27 werd fotografisch vastgelegd

vanuit de W.12), waarbij alle 5 bemanningsleden

het leven lieten. Toen de C27 niet terugkeerde naar

Pulham, werd de C26 op onderzoek uitgestuurd.

Koersend voor de Belgische kust ontstonden

problemen met een motor, en mist zorgde voor

desoriëntatie. Met de wind mee drijvend kwam de

C26 boven Nederland. Bij Poortugaal (bij

Rotterdam) deed de bemanning een poging het

luchtschip te verlaten. Dit lukte 4 mannen (één

verwondde hierbij zijn heup), de marconist bleef

met zijn been in een lus hangen en bleef

aanvankelijk aan boord. Hij zag bij Sliedrecht kans

de C26 te verlatenxxv. De blimp vervolgde

onbemand de tocht, waarbij het rond half 6 in de

ochtend bij het stoomgemaal aan de Vecht bij

Utrecht een tijdje met de gondel in een boom en

omgetrokken telegraaf draden bleef stekenxxvi.

Hierbij gingen enkele brandbommen, een

benzineblik, een oliespuit en een parachute

overboord, gelukkig zonder schade te veroorzaken.

De C26 raakte weer los, en via Hoge Vuursche

(tussen Baarn en Hilversum) eindigde de tocht rond

half 7 in Eemnes-Buiten, waar het aan de

Eemnesserweg in de bebouwde kom stortte. Hierbij

werd ongeveer 200 m aan palen opgehangen

elektriciteitskabel vernield, een telefoonpaal,

eenschoorsteen en een deel van het dak van een

woonhuis. De C26 kwam tot stilstand in de

achtertuin van de woning annex bakkerij van J.

Heekxxvii, met de gondel ondersteboven en geknikt

en het ballonlichaam vrijwel verticaal omhoog. De

zware 12 cilinder Daimler motorenxxviii hadden

gelukkig geen schade aangericht. In de verre

omtrek werden allerlei zaken afkomstig uit de

gondel gevondenxxix. Al eerder gewaarschuwde

militairen uit het kamp in Laren waren snel

aanwezig, en begonnen te zoeken naar de

bemanningsleden. Het werd al snel duidelijk dat de

vliegeniers die bij Poortugaal en Sliedrecht uit de

lucht waren komen vallen bij de C26 hoordenxxx. In

de middag arriveerden met vrachtwagens een aantal

manschappen om het luchtschip naar Soesterberg te

brengenxxxi. Onder het toeziend oog van duizenden

toeschouwers werd rond 5 uur in de middag het

ballonlichaam lekgeprikt; pas de volgende dag kon

de C26 geheel worden afgevoerdxxxii.

This is great it tells a lot

I can try to translate it if you would like?

Yes please

On December 1917 the C27 left Pulham for patrol. North of the channel the C27 was discovered by the crew of a German Hansa-Brandenburg W.12, that had taken off from Zeebrugge. The C27 was a easy prey for the German plane and the C27 fell burring in to the see. (The downfall of the C27 was photographically recorded from the W. 12) All 5 crew members were killed in the crash.

When the C27 didn’t return to Pulham the C26 was send out to look for the C27. When they got to the Belgian coast the C26 got engine problems and fog caused disorientation. The wind blew the C26 over Holland. At Poortugaal (Near Rotterdam) the crew did an attempt to abandon the ship, 4 men did got out (one injure his hip herby) the wireless operator got stuck with his leg in a loop and remained initially on board. He got out of the C26 at Sliedrecht.

The Blimp continued unmanned its way until around half past 6 in the morning by a steam pumping station on the river Vecht near Utrecht it got stuck for some time in a tree and a telegraph wire. Here it lost some incendiary, petrol cans, oil spray and a parachute.

The C26 broke lose again, and via Hoge Vuurse (between Baarn and Hilversum) its trip ended around half past 7 in Eemnes-Buiten, were it at the Eemnesserweg near building crasht. Because of this it destroyed an electricity cable, a telephone pole, a chimney and a part of a roof.

The C27 came to rest in the back garden of a house, which also was a bakery from J. Heek, with the gondola upside-down and bent and the balloon body almost strait up.

Fortunately the heavy 12 cylinder Daimler engines did not cause any damage. In the distant outlines were all kind of things found from the gondola.

The already alert Dutch soldiers from the barracks in Laren were quickly present and started a search for the crew of the blimp but It soon became clear that the Airmen who fall from the air in Poortugaal and Sliedrecht were from the C26.

In the afternoon a number of trucks and troops arrived to bring the airship to Soesterberg and under the watchful eye of thousands of spectators the airship was deflated and it was transported the next day

Just now i found some old Dutch newspapers with "new" Photos from the crash

I Will at them later toninght

This is a great topic mate, glad it was indeed the C26 :innocent:

And C26 in person

post-9885-0-91349800-1304289539.jpg

BTW this type is not a non rigid airship but an autorigid airship as it has internal bracing and the trefoil section provides against bending

Anzac 16,

Centurion quoted from "LUCHTSCHEPEN BOVEN NEDERLAND IN DE EERSTE WERELDOORLOG (DEEL 2)"

by Arno Landewers. So, you could also ask if Mr Landewers himself if he has additional information about the incident.

See: http://landewers.net

Maybe not that strange. Looks like changing wind directions: at first from a southwesterly direction, then west and finally southwest again.

This is how the route of the blimp would be but very strange.

Well she was obviously rising and falling and, as free ballooners will testify, wind direction can vary at different altitudes

Just got a mail and i have the spot where the C26 came down.

its not Eemnes-Binnen but Buiten en the adress is Wakkerendijk 3.

clipboard01zd.jpg

I will go there tomorow and make some pictures

And C26 in person

post-9885-0-91349800-1304289539.jpg

BTW this type is not a non rigid airship but an autorigid airship as it has internal bracing and the trefoil section provides against bending

Where did you got this photo?