Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spare a thought for those in the Gulf.

Drummy

We are all interested in the history of those who served our country in the past, let us spare a thought for the units of the British Forces preparing, as we speak, for the advance. As a former tank crewman of the KRH I wish each and every one of them the best of luck for whatever lies ahead and hope they all return home safely. Whatever our feelings to the ongoing situation, I am proud to know that the British Army will do their duty well. Cheers Neil.

Well put,Neil. I second that.

Safe (and speedy) return lads (and lasses!)!

Dave

I also spare many thoughts for Iraqi troops who will be on receiving end of munitions of devastating destructive force - bombs barely distiguishable in power from small nuclear devices. Ignoring the politicking at high levels , it's the simple soldier of whatever nationality who pays the real price.

As Ian quite rightly said let us hope for the sake of ALL the troops involved (whichever side they fight for) that there is a speedy resolution with as little bloodshed as possible.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I would have sooner seen Bush and Saddam slug it out with boxing gloves on!

Anyway here's to the lads (and lasses), remember its return tickets only!

Ian B)

Best of luck to all units of the British Forces out there, one of my 14 year olds wishes he was with them (he is in the Army cadets), as a mother I am glad he is not, it must be hard for all the parents of the troops out there.

I hope the Iraqi troops see sense and give up as soon as possible, then they can live to see their families again. Or better still, one of Saddam Generals pop him off.

Guest J.Woodward

I am a university bursar with the QRL, who as I am sure you all know are at the moment in the Gulf.. I feel somewhat useless not being out there, and not a little embaressed. I know several officers are quite keen on this site and I believe that it would go down well if we offer them the best of British! Good luck boys and remember the motto!

I would have sooner seen Bush and Saddam slug it out with boxing gloves on!

I have always held the belief that if World Leaders were given a dirk each, shut in a room and told that the winner is the last one left alive they would spend more time talking and not be so eager to 'send the troops in'.

I shan't get onto my high horse about this forthcoming 'war' but I will send my best to all the troops out there, no matter whose side they are on.

Very interesting thought,Lee,and i don't disagree with you at all.

It is a shame that the job was not finished correctly 12 years ago,and that we have to send more of our Forces in to the frontline in Iraq.

I,and all of my family,wish all of the soldiers,British and American,a speedy and safe return,and pray that the Iraqi soldiers decide to help to change their country for the best,so they may get back to their families and start living life.

Best of luck to them all,and let us hope it is all over very soon.

Regards.

Simon,Tina,Rebecca,Amber,Sofia and Phoebe Furnell.

My neice is out there on the Ark. Modern technology allows her to e-mail home whenever she wants (all we got in my day was the occasional 'bluey' ). She tells me that morale is high on board. However, I wouldn't want to be in Pompey when she returns if the bootnecks don't get some action !

Whatever our opinions of the potential conflict, we can all be proud that we've got the best armed forces in the world.

Michael

Like all of you, my thoughts are with those on the sharp end. We have a fine and professional army, and should be justly proud of them - both while the war is on, and when they come back . That is a lesson we should learn from this great conflict we all study.

Yes, Good luck to them. I'm a TA medic and lots of my friends have gone. I'm at uni so can't go yet but am graduating next year by which time it will hopefully be a peacekeeping/policing operation.

We should spare a thought too for Mr. and Mrs. Average Iraqii who are about to be bombed out of their underwear.

By a man who when in the Texas National Guard declined to serve in Vietnam when he had the chance.

My best to all the troops and to the poor people of Iraq.

As a Gulf veteran from 91 I wish our troops a speedy and safe return back home.

Simon, the job was done properly last time, the mandate was to liberate Kuwait and that is exactly what was done. Then it was clear why the troops had to be there, this time I'm not convinced.

I agree with the comments that it is always the common soldier and the common person that suffers.

What was it that Joni Mitchell sang in the song Woodstock, something like the "Bombers turning into butterflies above our nation" ? Food for thought

God bless

I'm reminded of the description of Berlin in 1945 in Modris Ekstein's book 'The Rites of Spring' - apparently the hit song was called 'It's a Spring Without End'.... What a juxtaposition with the warm sun and the clouds of war...

Please God it is over as soon as possible, and the grief that we encounter in our study of the 1914-1918 war is visited on as few innocents as possible.

Politics aside, I for one will raise a glass to our troops and hope they're back home as soon as the job is done.

I've never felt as disturbed by a conflict as this...1991 seemed so very clear cut by comparison.

Simon

Yes, I live in the town where the 3rd ID is stationed at Ft.Stewart, Ga.USA. My thoughts and prayers are with all the soldiers that have to engage in this terrible conflict. May it be over quickly.

Meryl

God bless you lads and may you return home to your loved ones safe and sound. May we never forget the debt we all owe to all our armed forces over the years...

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, ow's yer soul?"

But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

Rudyard Kipling

As an Ex Royal Marine Commando, I give all my support to the Coalition Troops involved in this just war.

They are fighting to free the oppressed peoples of Iraq.

One hopes that our troops will return home safe and well to their families.

Our country should be proud of what they are achieving.

They will be giving the Iraqi people the freedom to speak and act without fear!

Martin

They are fighting to free the oppressed peoples of Iraq.

They will be giving the Iraqi people the freedom to speak and act without fear!

Very good views, but where does it stop?

China has an awful record of atrocities against it's own people. North Korea isn't looking too good at the moment. Iran trained terrorists from around the World & Zimbabwe is run by a complete tyrant.

Whilst I support our troops I do not support this war. Using the excuses we have been given by our politicians then we should also be attacking the countries I have already mentioned.

There I go again :rolleyes: waffling on and on about something that doesn't really belong on a Great War Forum, sorry B)

This forum and its views are for the soldiers that fight in the Middle East and all over the world, regardless of sides. We empathise with them all, based on our knowledge of what has gone before. The views of whether we are right and wrong are immaterial.

Coalition forces lost 12 men this morning, my thoughts go to the families, the casualty list has begun...

John

I feel that the roots of this conflict lie firmly in the period we all study. Has the Middle East ever been at peace since the fall of the Ottoman Empire? Being used as a Cold War battleground didn't help either....but the Cold War itself surely has its genesis in the 1914-1918 conflict too.

I'm as ever reminded of Mao-Tse-Tung who was asked what the implictations of the French Revolution were, and replied "It's too soon to say".

Simon