Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What happens next?

mmm45

Hi

Can someone please explain the process once a Non Comm is given Status and his grave has been located in the UK.

Will CWGC place a headstone? I have located a guys grave who will hopefully get recognition however there is no headstone at the grave just the outline.The burial register confirms it is there.

Also what would happen if a Non Comm is added to the Debt Of Honour but his grave cannot be located although the National Burial Index states he is in the graveyard?

Thanks

Ady

Ady

In your first case, assuming this is a single burial then, yes, the Commission will usually erect a headstone. If it is a communal grave (like, say, the "paupers graves") then , no, they won't.

What they will do in that case and your second example is include the man's name on its screen wall which may be at that or a nearby cemetery. The definition of "nearby" can be quite wide - the one at Manchester's Southern Cemetery covers burials for miles around.

John

Ady,

Having done a couple of Burial Register transcriptions myself, I assumed that the NBI, in the case of church and the smaller town cemeteries, was only a transcription of the Burial Registers for that particular graveyard/cemetery.

In other words, a copy of the original page in the register, which is usually on fiche or film at the local records office, would be the primary evidence, as presumably in your first case.

Phil

Edit: Or are you saying that the grave plan doesn't show it, or is itself lost?

Hi

Can someone please explain the process once a Non Comm is given Status and his grave has been located in the UK.

Will CWGC place a headstone? I have located a guys grave who will hopefully get recognition however there is no headstone at the grave just the outline.The burial register confirms it is there.

Also what would happen if a Non Comm is added to the Debt Of Honour but his grave cannot be located although the National Burial Index states he is in the graveyard?

Thanks

Hi Ady

If the grave can't befound i've seen quiet a few CWGC headstones read buried somewere in this Graveyard (theres quiet a few to the Dukes like this in Stoney Royd Grave Yard in Halifax.) Regards Dave

Thanks for your replies.

Dave its Brighouse Cemetery I went down to Park Wood Crem and got the register wouldve cost £25 online it took 5 min!

Also found a living relative of him but she lives in the Netherlands.

Ady

Ady

In your first case, assuming this is a single burial then, yes, the Commission will usually erect a headstone. If it is a communal grave (like, say, the "paupers graves") then , no, they won't.

What they will do in that case and your second example is include the man's name on its screen wall which may be at that or a nearby cemetery. The definition of "nearby" can be quite wide - the one at Manchester's Southern Cemetery covers burials for miles around.

John

Or if no screen wall a Special Memorial may be errected - this has happened in a couple of my Brookwood 1914-18 Memorial finds where the casualty is known to be buried in a churchyard, but the actual grave site cannot be found.

Chris