Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UK Hospitals opening after 1917

Sue Light

I've recently completed a database of all home (UK) hospitals that were operating by the autumn of 1917 - 2,500 of them. But the original War Office list ends at that time, and I haven't found a later one. I know that there were some hospitals that opened during the latter part of 1917, and in 1918 - not many of them, but I'd like to complete the list if possible. If anyone has knowledge of any I'd be very grateful for details so that I can add them. One such unit was Grangethorpe Hospital, Rusholme, a large hospital open from late 1917 to 1929 (the latter part under the Ministry of Pensions) an account of which was sent to me a while ago by John Hartley, but any others would be welcome.

Sue

Hi sue

Tried to pm you details of hospitals that were in the Ramsbottom area.Have you got these ,Ramsbottom cottage hospital ( there is a good photo on the Ramsbottom heritage society website pre 1945 Bury archives ) Stubbins Vale house ,donated by the Porrit family,and the one at Hollymount .

Regards Duncan.

Thanks Duncan. I have Stubbins Vale (30 beds) and Hollymount, Tottington (150 beds in convent building) but no mention of Ramsbottom Cottage Hospital. Presumably it was a small civil hospital that took some military patients, as a great many did. The photo on the website was taken very early in the war, looking at the nurses' uniforms, so perhaps it had closed to military patients at the time of the war office list, and with the other local military hospitals open. But I've added it to the database now, as obviously it was used during wartime.

Regards --- Sue

Sue,

I expect you have RN Aux Hosp Kingseat on your list but I have recently found an article on it if you would be interested in a copy. PM me with your address.

seaJane

Sue

Chester Union Workhouse opened as a temporary military hospital in 1917, if that is of any use?

"Cheshire Record Office DocumentReference ZTRU/49

Title Four agreements between the Guardians of Chester Union with the Guardians of the Unions of Prescot, Hawarden, Wirral and Tarvin for the reception and maintenance of patients from Chester Union Workhouse, due to the conversion of Chester Union Workhouse as a temporary military hospital. Also contracts for building work and installations re this conversion.

Date 1917"

Source: Cheshire Record Office Catalogue

Caryl

I expect you have RN Aux Hosp Kingseat on your list but I have recently found an article on it if you would be interested in a copy. PM me with your address.

Thanks very much, although I wasn't quite as clear as I should have been, as this just relates (at present) to hospitals under the control of the War Office, and not the Admiralty. I think I have Admiralty down for my third lifetime but will make a note of it in anticipation of the time arriving :)

Regards - Sue

Chester Union Workhouse opened as a temporary military hospital in 1917, if that is of any use?

Thanks Caryl - I think I already have it, but there are so many of these pesky places all called by similar names, it's sometimes confusing. It seems to be Chester War Hospital, sited in the Poor Law Infirmary with 650 beds for other ranks. By its numbering, I get the feeling that it may have been used prior to 1917, or part of it at least. Perhaps they took over more of it in 1917, and the documents relate to moving more of the original inmates elsewhere. But thank you for checking for me.

Regards - Sue

Hi sue

Sorry to bombard you with a few more details.Stubbins vale house was opened in 1914 with 10 beds as a convalescent hospital and by 1917 had over 50 beds it was donated by Lt Col Austin Townsend Porritt who as well as being a wealthy mill owner was also an officer with 2/5th East Lancs Regiment.Ramsbottom cottage hospital on nuttall lane ,is commonly confused with Aitken Sanitorium in Holcombe village which was a TB hospital during the war

Regards Duncan

Thank you Duncan. Aitken Sanatorium doesn't figure, so presumably it was not under military control. I've made a note of the other information.

Regards, Sue

Sue

One from Norwich - Norwich Palace Hospital (forty beds). Opened 23 April 1918, cases treated - 224. Commandant Mrs Aspland.

Source: Peace Souvenir, NORWICH WAR RECORD. Edited by Herbert Leeds.

Regards

Mark

Thanks Mark - that one certainly fits the bill. Do you know where the hospital was situated, and which building it occupied? Did it have any connection to the Castle?

Regards --- Sue

Thanks - yes, got it now:

The Bishop of Norwich has placed his palace at

the disposal of the British Red Cross Society, and

an auxiliary hospital with forty beds has been

formed.

British Journal of Nursing 11 May 1918.

There were certainly some beautiful buildings used as hospitals - I think I feel a Grand Tour of Britain coming on!

Sue