Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kaaie Salient

Mark

I posted this question a short while ago but probably in the wrong section of the Forum. Can anyone give me an indication of where the Kaaie Salient was? All I know from the war diary of the 7 KRRC for September 1917 is that it was east of Ypres. The war diary also mentions trenches A2 and A3.

If we are talking in Ieper about the 'Kaaie' that is the end of the Ypres Ysercanal at Ieper. On his eastbank there were high winterberms for the canal with a lot of dug-outs. When they made the actual road, who is leading towards Boezinge and was probably made end 1960ies( needs confirmation) and developing the area into a industrial zone (nothing new under the sun) the whole complex was just bulldozed. I have seen it with my own eyes literally every 50m there was an entrance. I desperately am looking to find some kind or photographical testimony of this but so far no luck.

Jacky

Hi Mark

I can not help with the exact position of the trenches you mention but I can tell you that the 14th Division held the line from the River Douve on the right to the left of Blaweourt Beek on the left (The 9th KRRC section of the Regiments Chronicle 1917 records that front line ran from River Douve on left and to the left of Blaweourt Beek on the right. One look at a map of the area shows this to be wrong) ? during September 1917.

7th KRRC

Meteren

2nd Sept moved to Waterloo Camp.

5th Sept. moved to Neuve Eglise.

12th Sept. moved into support.

16th Sept. relieved 8th RB in front line near Blauweport (not sure of correct spelling) Beek on left (7th RB on right).

20th Sept. relieved and go to Neuve Eglise.

After looking at Official History to see where the front line was in that area, I found a map that I have of the area but it does not have any trenches marked on it (the date of map is before the area was captured by British). The map in question is 28 SW 2 (Wytschaete). The left sector of the 14th Division lies in squares O.29.d. (or it may lie in c ?) and O.35.b. (or a ?).

I have had a look at the list of maps sold by WFA and they have one that may show trenches in this area but I can not be sure of this, it is date 10/03/18 and according to code shows British trenches and some names are given (but not necessarily all).

You have to be a member of the WFA to buy any of their maps but you may be lucky and find someone on the forum with this map, plus you will need map 28 SW 4 to see the rest of the Divisions line down to the river Douve.

Source of information—K.R.R.C Chronicle for 1917, Ox. & Bucks Chronicle and K.S.L.I. History.

Regards

Annette