Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th (Service) Battalion Yorkshire/69th Brigade/23rd Division

Victoria Najafi

I am trying to research as much as possible about my Great Grandfather Harold Leslie Boyd from Gateshead. His regiment was the 8th (Service) Battalion Yorkshire who were part of the 69th Brigade who in turn were part of the 23rd Division. He is enlisted as Harry Boyd and on his MIC, his number is 62082 for the York R and 56420 for Y & LR.

Regarding medals awarded, this is a bit odd as the information states that only one victory medal was awarded, however my Grandfather who is still alive remembers him clearly having two medals. My Great Grandmother sadly threw his medals out...A friend has informed me that documents show clearly thathe was sent to join the BEF in Italy on the 5th November and left for L'Harve on 6th November. This means he was overseas and in a Theatre of War (France) before the end of the war and makes him entitled to both medals. The fact that he was on his way to his regiment in Italy and got there later does not affect his entitlement. I wondered if anybody can help with this query as I plan on getting the medals recreated for my Grandfather.

Also, I have been informed that a Battalion War Diary is held in the NationalArchives under reference WO95/4328 which may give me further information about what my Great Grandfather was doing in Italy. I wondered if anybody has a copy of this?

Any available photographs of him or his regiment would also greatly appreciated,

Many thanks,

Victoria

Great grandaughter of Harold Leslie Boyd, 8th (Service) Battalion Yorkshire/69th Brigade/23rd Division

Victoria,

I take it you've seen the surviving records? Unfortunately my internet access is grinding and I have to head off to work, but in case anyone here with access wants to have a look these seem to be the details:-

Name: Harry Boyd

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1899

Age at enlistment: 19

Residence: 135 Rectory Rd, Gateshead, Newcastle-On-Tyne

Document Year: 1918

Regimental Number: 56420

Regiment Name: York & Lancaster Regiment

Consists of about 11 pages. I know the number's different, but a few pages in there's a single typed sheet with your man's number specifically stating he's entitled to the Victory Medal.

Hi,

Looking at his Medal Card and Service Record it looks like he was issued with the British War Medal, but some some reason was not sent his Victory Medal. Then at a later date on 5 May 1924 he applied for his Victory Medal to which he was entitled on Army Form B104-117 and this was issued to him 24 May 1924.

Regards Mark

Hi thanks again for the reply. Yes I have quite a few pages about the medal and saying that he went to Italy, however a friend of mine says that he probably would have received the silver and bronze victory medal? He wonders whether the person awarding the medals may have changed his mind and awarded them both due to a change of date later in the documents as he was posted to Italy? My Grandfather clearly remembers two but he can't remember which sadly.

Thanks again,

Victoria

Victoria,

I take it you've seen the surviving records? Unfortunately my internet access is grinding and I have to head off to work, but in case anyone here with access wants to have a look these seem to be the details:-

Name: Harry Boyd

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1899

Age at enlistment: 19

Residence: 135 Rectory Rd, Gateshead, Newcastle-On-Tyne

Document Year: 1918

Regimental Number: 56420

Regiment Name: York & Lancaster Regiment

Consists of about 11 pages. I know the number's different, but a few pages in there's a single typed sheet with your man's number specifically stating he's entitled to the Victory Medal.

Many thanks Mark, would this have been the round bronze and silver medals?

Thanks,

Victoria

Hi,

Looking at his Medal Card and Service Record it looks like he was issued with the British War Medal, but some some reason was not sent his Victory Medal. Then at a later date on 5 May 1924 he applied for his Victory Medal to which he was entitled on Army Form B104-117 and this was issued to him 24 May 1924.

Regards Mark