Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Five weeks in a war zone

corisande

Whilst researching something else, I came across this article written by a Times correspondent, that gives an extremely well balanced view of the problems faced by both sides in the War of Independence. I scrunched it a bit to fit in here, but it is readable.

5-weeks-war-zone.jpg

For anyone not understanding the situation in Ireland, it gives an understanding of why each side was doing what it was doing.

Those with entrenched positions will no doubt take exception with the article.

And me,? I commend it.

Those with entrenched positions will no doubt take exception with the article

Thats some assumption to make,I better not suggest that people formulate their views of Irish history from a combination of sources that should include all the newspapers of different political leanings and not just a publication that echoed state policy and is associated with one particular political stance, like in the article above.

And me,? I commend it.

I would not have the temerity to call your views entrenched.

I would not have the temerity to call your views entrenched.

Nor I yours :)

I think it is great the way in one paragraph he describes one group of armed men ambushing another group of armed men as crowdedly and then goes on to say it is acceptable for a group of armed men to take revenge on unarmed civilians. I suspect his five weeks in the West consisted of 4 weeks and 5 days in a nice comfortable hotel and the other 2 days spent travelling from and to Dublin.

I think it is great the way in one paragraph he describes one group of armed men ambushing another group of armed men as crowdedly and then goes on to say it is acceptable for a group of armed men to take revenge on unarmed civilians. I suspect his five weeks in the West consisted of 4 weeks and 5 days in a nice comfortable hotel and the other 2 days spent travelling from and to Dublin.

More "in bed" rather than embedded.