Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Archibald Anderson WINNING

ph0ebus

Hi all,

Just noted the day before last that another relation of mine served during the Great War. Archibald Anderson Winning, born 01 Aug 1889 in Glasgow, Scotland, son of Thomas and Christina Winning (nee Kirkland). Emigrated to the USA in 1911 aboard the Caledonia, and I would suspect was a part of the AEF but not certain about that. Notation on 1930 US Census indicates he was a Great War Veteran. His son Thomas was a veteran of both WWII and Korea. I thought I would start a thread on the odd chance someone else was researching the Winning family. Any updates/leads I will post here accordingly. :)

-Daniel

You can see this on Ancestry (not very clear.)

Name: Archibald Winning

City: Queens

COUNTY: Queens

State: New York

Birthplace: Scotland

Birth Date: 1 Aug 1889

Race: White

FHL Roll Number: 1818487

DraftBoard: 184

Gary.

You can see this on Ancestry (not very clear.)

Name: Archibald Winning

City: Queens

COUNTY: Queens

State: New York

Birthplace: Scotland

Birth Date: 1 Aug 1889

Race: White

FHL Roll Number: 1818487

DraftBoard: 184

Gary.

Hi Gary,

This is certainly the right man...he lived and died (and is buried) in Queens. Can you tell me what is is in regards to, i.e., what is FHL Roll #? I now have his WWI and WWII draft registration cards (thanks SSD!) but his WWI draft card is horribly difficult to read.

Thanks!

-Dan

EDIT, ah, got it, off the WWI card entry....how they were able to make that out is anyone's guess!

Hi Daniel

His trip to the USA is on FindMyPast, but you need to pay to print it out, he is the only one with those details you gave above. Arrived in New York

You should also be able to find him on Scotlands People, there is 1 match for him in the 1901 and 1891 census and 1 match for his birth, if you dont have those records already. Again you have to pay to view.

regards

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the lead! I will follow up on them. I actaully have the ships manifest from his trip on the Caledonia now, but the UK censuses I do not have.

I have a photo of Archie that I will post once I find it. :)

Daniel

Hi all,

As promised, a photo of Archie (not the best, but the only one I have at the moment):

post-32240-0-44728100-1303569893.jpg

I think I might have some luck requesting a summary of service from the NYS Archives:

NYS Archives

However, I have no clue what branch he was in. I would assume if he was a Marine he would have shown up in the Muster Rolls on Ancestry...I found another relation's WWI service records that way. So, I would think he was either in the Army or Navy. The problem is the request form requires me to pick a lane.

I am also having a heck of a time finding his death info. I know he died in 1950 (it says so on his gravestone) but I do not have a precise day or month, and for some reason he is not listed in the Social Security Death Index, though he was a naturalized citizen.

-Daniel

I don't suppose anyone can make out Archie's address on here? I can see the bit about St. Albans but the rest is tough to read.

post-32240-0-22086200-1303733394.jpg

49 ????? Ave?

-Daniel

Hi all,

I put in a request with the New York State Archives yesterday via mail...all you need is a dollar and a dream!

While I was at it I put in a request for another relation of mine who I have a bit more info on (Theodore James Hansen) who was in the US Navy in WWI.

I'm crossing my fingers!

-Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

I don't suppose anyone can make out Archie's address on here? I can see the bit about St. Albans but the rest is tough to read.

49 ????? Ave?

-Daniel

I am not sure about St Albans; is it Alloa, C.S. (Clackmannanshire)

I am not sure about St Albans; is it Alloa, C.S. (Clackmannanshire)

Hi high wood, all...

Indeed, by this time he was living in St. Albans, Queens, New York. Last night I scanned the record I received from the NYS Archives:

post-32240-0-23824800-1305028263.jpg

This is the first one of these record cards I've seen. So, this tells me he served in the US Army:

Army Serial # 703 8 56

Enlisted: Ft. Slocum, NY

Enlistment Date: December 15, 1917

Age at Enlistment: 28 y 4 mos.

Assigned to QMC (Quartermaster Corps) at large to discharge (I assume this means for his entire tour of duty...?)

Grades: Private 1st Class Apr. 23 1918, Sergeant Nov. 16 1918, Sergeant 1st Class July 28 1918.

Wounds/Injuries: None

Served Overseas May 28 1918 - Sept 11 1919

Hon. Discharge: Sept. 17, 1919

Zero Percent Disabled upon demob

So, comparing this against the Draft Card I now think the line that was unclear said " St. Marks Ave St Albans"...there is indeed still a St. Marks Ave that runs through St. Almans. Pity there is not a specific house number given...

It also appears that Archie was a part of a major event in Long Island military history: the enlistment crisis in December 1917. The article below details the events that fateful winter when literally thousands of men descended upon the village of New Rochelle in an effort to enlist before the December 15th deadline, which was in fact the day Archie successfully enlisted:

Ft. Slocum Enlistment Disaster Narrowly Averted

I will also make inquiries at NARA to see if his records survived the great fire in 1973...given only 20% of the Army records, I have a 1 in 5 chance of success.

I am also now seeking information on where Archie might have gotten to the front and where he may have been stationed, as it appears he was there in the thick of it for almost six months, until the Armistice.

Does anyone know if he had any medal entitlement for his service?

Any thoughts, feedback on the above would be most welcome. It always feels good when a long shot pays off!

-Daniel

• 4 years later...
  • 5 years later...
On 24/04/2011 at 00:49, ph0ebus said:

Hi all,

As promised, a photo of Archie (not the best, but the only one I have at the moment):

post-32240-0-44728100-1303569893.jpg

I think I might have some luck requesting a summary of service from the NYS Archives:

NYS Archives

However, I have no clue what branch he was in. I would assume if he was a Marine he would have shown up in the Muster Rolls on Ancestry...I found another relation's WWI service records that way. So, I would think he was either in the Army or Navy. The problem is the request form requires me to pick a lane.

I am also having a heck of a time finding his death info. I know he died in 1950 (it says so on his gravestone) but I do not have a precise day or month, and for some reason he is not listed in the Social Security Death Index, though he was a naturalized citizen.

-Daniel

His son Thomas was my father. I have some other paperwork I scanned in if you're interested. How did you know him?

Archibald Winning Death Certificate.jpg

20180402_152725.jpg

On 10/05/2011 at 22:08, ph0ebus said:

Hi high wood, all...

Indeed, by this time he was living in St. Albans, Queens, New York. Last night I scanned the record I received from the NYS Archives:

post-32240-0-23824800-1305028263.jpg

This is the first one of these record cards I've seen. So, this tells me he served in the US Army:

Army Serial # 703 8 56

Enlisted: Ft. Slocum, NY

Enlistment Date: December 15, 1917

Age at Enlistment: 28 y 4 mos.

Assigned to QMC (Quartermaster Corps) at large to discharge (I assume this means for his entire tour of duty...?)

Grades: Private 1st Class Apr. 23 1918, Sergeant Nov. 16 1918, Sergeant 1st Class July 28 1918.

Wounds/Injuries: None

Served Overseas May 28 1918 - Sept 11 1919

Hon. Discharge: Sept. 17, 1919

Zero Percent Disabled upon demob

So, comparing this against the Draft Card I now think the line that was unclear said " St. Marks Ave St Albans"...there is indeed still a St. Marks Ave that runs through St. Almans. Pity there is not a specific house number given...

It also appears that Archie was a part of a major event in Long Island military history: the enlistment crisis in December 1917. The article below details the events that fateful winter when literally thousands of men descended upon the village of New Rochelle in an effort to enlist before the December 15th deadline, which was in fact the day Archie successfully enlisted:

Ft. Slocum Enlistment Disaster Narrowly Averted

I will also make inquiries at NARA to see if his records survived the great fire in 1973...given only 20% of the Army records, I have a 1 in 5 chance of success.

I am also now seeking information on where Archie might have gotten to the front and where he may have been stationed, as it appears he was there in the thick of it for almost six months, until the Armistice.

Does anyone know if he had any medal entitlement for his service?

Any thoughts, feedback on the above would be most welcome. It always feels good when a long shot pays off!

-Daniel

Archibald Commendation.jpg

Archibald Promotion PFC to SGT.jpg

Archibald Promotion SSG 2 SFC.jpg

Hi Tad,

Great to meet you!  I just had a look in my family tree, and I actually already had you in there...I’m your 2nd cousin.  Your father was married to Elizabeth nee Gale, who was my maternal grandfather’s sister, my grandfather being Emmanuel Gale.  If memory serves me right, Archibald is buried right next to my grandparents in Queens.

I would love to chat more and exchange further information; I will try and send you a private message with my contact information.

Daniel