Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC/RAF Service Records

Magentamagic

Hello everyone!

I've been going about trying to locate my great grandfather's RFC/RAF service records. I initially decided to do this a couple of years ago but, unfortunately, I had to put my family research on the back burner until recently.

Anyway, I have a photocopy of a muster roll with my great grandfather's service number and rank and things on it. Basically, I am unable to get to Kew to visit the national archives myself. The costs of my family research are mounting up quick and fast and so I wondered if there is a way to tell from a service number whether the person continued service into the 1920's. I ask this because MOD replied to me saying they hold details of those serving from 1920 and during WWII. The Air Historical branch replied and stated that TNA hold the service records of personnel who served with the RFC/RAF and who left the RAF by the early 1920's.

MOD charge £30 for information to be disclosed, and also require a death cert, which I'd have to purchase. TNA charge a research fee (which shouldn't be too much as I already have a service number, etc, from the muster roll). I'm just concerned I'm going to end up spending a fortune in fees to various people... Is there any way of finding out anymore info based on a service number? The muster roll says "Terms of Enlistment - D.W" so I assume he wouldn't fall into the category of servicemen's records held by the MOD? We know nothing about his service, only that we have a medal for him, so I can't say for sure he didn't continue serving with the RAF after WW1, although at some point he ended up working on the railways.

His service number is 127628, Archer B Tyrrell, Air Mech 3/Private 2, cook.

If anyone knows where his records are likely to be, either with MOD or TNA and can save me a bit of money I'd be most grateful! I hope this ramble makes sense to everyone - I'm a bit off colour today and my brain's not on top form I'm affraid!

Fiona

Hi,

His service number 127628 would fall within the block 125001 to 128000 which were issued to men transferred from the Army to RFC in Feb 1918.

Regards Mark

Hi,

His service number 127628 would fall within the block 125001 to 128000 which were issued to men transferred from the Army to RFC in Feb 1918.

Regards Mark

Wow, thank you for the speedy reply! That's most helpful, thank you! Does this mean his army records may show up on Ancestry or, because he was a transfer, will the records will still be classed as RAF records and all lumped together at Kew? (Hope that makes sense!)

Regards,

Fiona

I can,t find anything on Ancestry they would probably be classed as RAF records. Which medal does he have?

Regards Mark

I can,t find anything on Ancestry they would probably be classed as RAF records. Which medal does he have?

Regards Mark

I'm not sure which medal we have for him - it lives with my brother in a frame so I'll have to find out. To be honest, I can't even remember what it looks like! I'm not the most helpful of people really, am I?!

Regards,

Fiona

Hi

His service record is available at the National Archives in Kew in file number AIR79/1144

Steve

Thanks, Steve! Much appreciated!

Regards,

Fiona

Hi Fiona,

As your great grandfather's Terms of Enlistment was 'D.W' (Duration of War) it seems to me it would be unlikely that he would have continued in the service of the RAF into the 1920s. My grandfather also enlisted 'for the duration', initially as an air mechanic (though he did have a choice of taking '4 plus 4') and he was demobbed in early 1919.

Regards

Steve

Thank you, Steve! I somehow didn't think he'd have continued his service after the war - my grandmother was born in 1912 and if he was still serving into the 1920's I'm sure she'd have remembered and mentioned something about it BUT she was never very forthcoming with information so, when dealing with my grandmother's side of the family, it's always best for me to double check everything!

Regards,

Fiona

Fiona,

I recently requested a copy of an airman’s record from the TNA, I provided the mans number and his AIR79 reference and for two sides of A3 paper they quoted me £11.00, inc postage.

john_g

www.66squadron.co.uk

Fiona,

I recently requested a copy of an airman's record from the TNA, I provided the mans number and his AIR79 reference and for two sides of A3 paper they quoted me £11.00, inc postage.

john_g

www.66squadron.co.uk

Gosh, that's not a bad price at all! Thank you! I know it says on the site they charge £15 per 15 minutes of research and was hoping it wouldn't take them an hour or so to locate my man, due to having his number, etc, so that's very promising! I've contacted them with regards to a price so just have to wait until they open again after easter for a reply.

Regards

Fiona