Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Merchant Navy medal card.

Guest Wright

Whilst browsing this forum I've come across plenty of links for army medal cards but not the Merchant Navy. I'm hoping someone can help me with the following queries on my grandfathers medal card:

What does RS2 mean? It's followed by 6 numbers. Would this be his service number? It states he had the Mercantile Marine and British Medal Ribbons issued on 7th November 1919 but the Mercantile Medal issued in July 1928. Then the British Medal has RNR (I) after it. I assume this is Royal Naval Reserve but do not know what the I would be in brackets.

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated, especially on the RS2 as I'm hoping this will be his service number which will assist me in making further enquiries.

Hello Greencofi,

Checkout the Mariners website at mariners.co.uk or about the fifth down on a Google search. That should provide details of the R.S.2 Card and number and how to research them.

Michael.

Not sure exactly what RS2 stands for but on my grandfather's medal card the six digit number thereafter is his Identity Certificate number as noted on his CR10 record. The CR10 contains basic information and usually, on the reverse , a photograph. It may also have a note of the 'original number' of the ships an individual has sailed on, although if reissued (as in my grandfather's) case maybe only the more recent ships. I located my grandfather's CR10 at the National Archives at Kew . Suggest you check out their website as there are missing dates in the collection. You may also be able to get some help from Southampton Archives 023 8083 2251.

Many thanks for the above information. I've visited the Mariner website and also emailed the archives at Southampton. Once again many thanks.

• 3 months later...

Many thanks for the above information. I've visited the Mariner website and also emailed the archives at Southampton. Once again many thanks.

Many thanks for these useful replies which will help my research also.

Sloop.