Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown hospital, Wiltshire?

high wood

This rather distinctive building seems to be being used as a military hospital. There is a soldier in hospital blues amongst the three men on the pathway. I thought at first that the building might be Netley Hospital but on checking it clearly is not. The building may be in the Wiltshire area.

post-6480-0-03277800-1303049302.jpg

post-6480-0-01374900-1303049366.jpg

Hi - Just a thought this, but If you don't get a clear identification you could try looking at Gaols as architecture seems similar with central watchtower.

Tim

I don't think that the building is in Wiltshire - I've never seen anything like it in my researches.

Moonraker

The postcard may not have originated in Wiltshire, but the antique dealer that I bought it from certainly did. He may of course not source all his stock locally.

I get the impression that it's a mill building of some kind, with the chimney going up alongside the watchtower. It isn't Saltaire, but there is a faint resemblance to Saltaire's tower: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Saltaire_from_Leeds_and_Liverpool_Canal.jpg

Whats that on the side of the main tower (r/h side)?

Looks like a clock or a company logo

Grant

David,

thank you, superb deduction; there is no doubt that you have identified the location. Do you think that Peter Finch would like a copy of the photograph for his website?

Simon.