Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South African Brigade Flanders 1917

Guest hometurf

Guest hometurf

I´m trying to collect more information about the efforts of the South African Brigade in the Ieper region by the end of 1917. Somewhere in october 1917 the (reformed) Brigade left Bordoncamp, GB and went via Boulogne to Armentières. They marched north to the Ieper region, and were engaged in some serious fightings. The problem is: I don´t know where and when and the books don´t tell me much.

Regards,

Jorge Groen

The South African Brigade fought at Frezenberg Ridge in September 1917; most of the names of SA men listed on the Menin Gate are from this action. I think they pulled out of the Salient after that.

A good source is Peter K. Digby Pyramids & Poppies which is a history of the SA Brigade on the Western Front. It is out of print but you might be able to get it from Abebooks.

The South African Brigade fought at Frezenberg Ridge in September 1917; most of the names of SA men listed on the Menin Gate are from this action. I think they pulled out of the Salient after that.

Is it only the british regimental names that after the 16th of August 1917 are on other memorials (Tyne Cot etc.) ???

Conor

Is it only the british regimental names that after the 16th of August 1917 are on other memorials (Tyne Cot etc.) ???

This is indeed the general rule Conor. However i.e. in September 1917 there are around 435 entries on the Menin Gate for UK units. Remarkably almost (except 5) are from the London Bn.s, especially the 174th Bde, 58th Division on the 20th September . This are only the bare figures haven't been researching it in depth but this corresponds to the battle of the Menin Road in 3rd Ypres.

Jacky

Guest hometurf

Thanx for the informations. It helps a lot. However, I still don´t know what the South Africans were doing in october and november. They did fight, but where?

It seems that the SA Bde remained in the line, but was in reserve during the battle near St Julien on 12th October 1917. It remained in this sector until after the end of the battle, losing large numbers of men from daily shell fire. It moved to the Cambrai front, taking over the newly won ground at Gouzeaucourt on the Cambrai front.

According to my notes (which need updating) but they shouldn't be very far from reality (+/-2) following numbers can be found for 1918 on the Menin Gate for the South Africans:

6/04/18: 1

9/04/18: 2

10/04/18: 75

11/04/18: 39

12/04/18: 38

13/04/18: 21

14/04/18: 1

17/04/18: 19

18/04/18: 1

19/04/18: 6

20/04/18: 4

21/04/18: 7

29/04/18: 10

30/04/18: 12

02/05/18: 1

04/05/18: 8

10/09/18: 1

No further research has been done to interprete this figures.

Jacky

The April 1918 figures are when 9th (Scottish) Division, SA Bde with them, returned to the Salient and fought on the Messines Ridge.