Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pen and Ink drawing

Rob Bulloch

Hello the forum. I hope I have posted this under the correct topic.. I found this framed drawing in a thrift shop this afternoon. It is an 8x8 pen and ink drawing or perhaps a print on a 14x12 embossed paper backing. "One of the fighting 51st is printed on the bottom and it is signed, Mac France 1918 above the print it reads Copyright. Published by Messrs H & J Pillans and Wilson 86 Hanover Street Edinburgh. would be great full for any information on the artist.

T.I.A. Aye Rob

post-56-0-45621400-1302827885.jpg

Another photograph

post-56-0-84528800-1302829307.jpg

I wonder if he was the same man that provided the illustrations for the cigarette card series produced by John Player & Sons described as "Football Caricatures by Mac".

Thanks for your response Jim, I looked up the printers name that is printed on the top Pillans and Wilson and they are one of the oldest printing and lithography companies in Scotland starting in 1777 to 1986,and Mac I can find nothing on, as you can imagine when I put "Mac" in all I get is links to the computer company. I will just keep at it and see what I can find out about it looks nice in the frame.

Thanks again. Aye Rob.

Well, if it is the same "Mac" that did the John Player illustrations, that would be Douglas Machin. And the signature on the print does show some similarity to that found on the cards, particularly in the slash mark with additional wording beneath.

Nice print, by the way Rob. Congrats on scoring it for your own.

Cheers!

Lou

Rob,

According to the Scottish Archive Network Catalogue http://www.scan.org.uk/catalogue/ Pillans and Wilson's archives are in the National Library of Scotland, so perhaps the latter can advise if they hold any details on Mac. Their contact for enquiries about manuscripts and archives is manuscripts[at]nls[dot]uk .

Nice picture!

Jane

Jane and Lou. Thanks for your help and comments. Lou I looked up the ciggie cards you and Jim mentioned, and using the name you supplied "Douglas Machin", and as you said the signature is similar. Jane I will get in touch NLS and see if they can be of any help. Thanks all...Aye Rob.

Jim and Lou. I have came across an artist from South Africa that signed his work "Mac" Herbert Wood MacKinney, he was a cartoonist and caricaturist during the Great War. do you think that he could be the artist of the sketch.

Aye Rob.