Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Absent Voters List for Hull 1918

acarrick

To Second Lieutenant,

They are indeed my folk. As for whether his brother George served in the WWI I can not say, as Tom moved to East Yorkshire after he left the army up due to marriage. Due to this, his brother George was never in the family folk lore. Why do you ask? Just curious.

To Glen, I went via the Next of Kin route at the MoD but they could not find him, I am so disappointed.

They did say to go to Kew, which I can still do. Otherwise the trail has died.

Thanks,

Amanda

• 7 months later...

The 1918 AVL for Kingston upon Hull is available from the Hull People's Memorial in Whitefriargate. They will happily perform a search in exchange for a donation to the Hull People's Memorial Fund.

This is the one they stole from me......................

The original is available from the Hull History Centre and The British Library Newspaper Archives.

I can do a search for nothing.

Regards Charles

• 8 months later...

Hi Charles,

If you are able to could you try and locate regimental details for Gerald Melling 1918-1920 from the AVL.

Family ( Wife Olive Julia, sons Arthur and Leonard) living at 8 Cleveland Avenue off De La Pole Avenue

He served in WW1 and best guess so far is Army Service Corps with rank of QMS, but no records can be found on military searches to back this up.

Many thanks,

Tom

• 5 years later...

Is there any kind soul out there who could help me track down in which regiments a couple of brothers served?

I’m trying to fill in detail for

George William Shaw; 23 Lake Street and

Albert Shaw, 21 Lake Street.

Both are listed on the Lake Street Shrine (July 1917) along with their brother Edwin, who had already been killed at Loos.

George William became my Mums step Dad after her father was killed at Poelcapelle in December 1917.

It’s my lock down project to fill in as much detail as I can in lieu of asking the questions I should have asked when there were still people around to answer them.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi

1901 all the family at 9 Wilberforce Grove. St.Silas Parish, Sulcoates.

George William Shaw, b.1883 lived 23 Lake St., Hull, 1911 census with parents William and Mary Anna and brother Edwin. 16 yrs. (242797 Duke of Wellington's West Riding. d.3.5.1917, parent's address, 1 Main St., Hull CWGC)

??George William Shaw 59456 Royal Welch Fusiliers. Pension Ledger widow Alice A

Albert Shaw b. 26.10.1886 at 21 Lake Street, 1911 with wife Lucy b.1.4.1889 (Clipson, m. 1907) and children Lily 3 yrs , Muriel 6 mths.   looking.. 

1939 at 10 Willow Grove, Lake Street, with wife Lucy and son Edwin V b.5.5.1918. and 2 others redacted.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Barry, thanks very much for this rapid response. I like the idea that George William might have been in the RWF as I now live near Wrexham and pass the old Royal Welch barracks every time I drive into town (which of late has not been too often, of course) Indeed, George’s wife, my grandmother, was called Alice but she didn’t have a second name, so “Alice A”?

Oh, I’ve just rechecked and “Alice A” given as living in Patricroft (Manchester?) So it is indeed back to the drawing board! Hopefully the Absent Voters List data will resolve the matter.

(Apologies for the unnecessary confusion about Edwin Shaw who was in fact killed at Bullecourt. It was my grandfather’s cousin and namesake who was killed at Loos.)

With regards, CRMcD