Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Absent Voters List for Hull 1918

acarrick

Anybody know if the AVL for Hull in 1918 is available in the public domain? I've tried the Hull History Centre online catalogue but it doesn't appear there.

Hi Andrew

If it still exists it will either be in Hull Central Library local studies section, the Archive/Record Office for the area or possibly the British Library in London. Many no longer exist and you will need the address of the soldier concerned in 1918 and also need to be sure that he was over 21 at the time as he will not be in the list otherwise.

Good luck.

Peridot

.... need to be sure that he was over 21 at the time as he will not be in the list otherwise.

This is a common misbelief. A serviceman was entitled to register from the age of 19; civilians had to be 21 years or over. Please see this old THREAD for further details.

Best wishes,

Stuart

That's good to know Andrew, as so many have not survived (including the one for the constituency where my grandfather lived at the time).

Peridot

Anybody know if the AVL for Hull in 1918 is available in the public domain? I've tried the Hull History Centre online catalogue but it doesn't appear there.

Hi Andrew, you could try contacting the Carnegie Heritage Centre in Hull. I know a man there who has access to the AVL for Hull, he helped me find my grandfather on it. He is also a member of this Forum so he may well see your post and reply direct to you.

Regards, Dave

OK cheers for that. Used to go there when it was a library, but not been in since it changed!

Hi Andrew,

You will find it open on Tuesday's and Friday's and they aim to help with all aspects of Family History, not just military. You can go there to carry out your own research using the mass of information that they hold and you can also access things like Census Records, Ancestry etc. they will offer help & gudance if required or will just leave you to get on with it yourself if that is what you want.

Regards, Dave

• 1 month later...

I think I was after William L Verity and family. The CWGC says his parents lived on Cranbrook Ave but the census reports indicate otherwise (Lambert Street, of Newland Ave) although I appreciate they are only every 10 years.

Also Lt Leigh Roslin Williams, He's the only one of the 6 men I'm researching that I don't have an address for. Not sure if he even lived in Hull itself, but he did work in the Old Town.

Cheers.

Thanks for that. As the AVL is in address order I reckon I'll struggle to find Willimas' address.

Can I ask for a quick look-up, please?

I have a photo of a gunner in the RGA, taken on a training course in France, dated July 1918, sent to his parents whose names appear to be 'Mr. & Mrs. Voller, 18 Alexandra (or possibly Alexander) Road, Hull'. He seems to sign off as "Add". I can't find anyone who matches him in the MIC's.

Also, I have a photo of a 'Mr. & Mrs. Dodsworth', the photo was taken by 'R.T. Watson, 70 Anlaby Rd, Hull', so presumably Dodsworth family lived in that area. Unfortunately there's no address for them, and I appreciate that you may not be able to turn him up with out one. All I can say is that he's a staff sergeant, probably about 40, with 2 young kids.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Found Gunner Voller.

Suspect 146 Heavy Battery. Can you post photo of Staff Sergeant.

Regards Charles

Charles,

Thank so much for that! I've had him in my collection for years.

Was 146 Hvy Bty a locally raised unit?

Will try to post the Dodsworth, but I haven't got a scanner at the moment, so will have to see what I can do. Will PM you when I do it.

• 1 year later...

Hello Charles,

I wonder if you can search in the Hull AVL for my grandfather, Sergeant Thomas Eveleigh Brown who lived at The Mill on Holderness Road in Hull in 1918/19. He was in the Northumberland Fusiliers but we're unsure of his battalion. His service number might be 26/790 but I have not been able to cross reference it, I got the service number from the service medal index cards for a Sergeant Thomas E. Brown in the Northumberland Fusiliers.

My grandfather was born on 3rd Oct 1892 in Sunderland. He left the army in 1921/22/23.

Many thanks for any information whatsoever.

Regards,

Amanda

Any chance you could send me a list of all the men who were serving with any Battalion of the Lincolns?

Or a copy so I can search for myself. Not looking for anyone in particular but am compiling a list of as many men with the Lincs as I can.

See my post;-

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=188732

Cheers lee.

Hello Charles,

I wonder if you can search in the Hull AVL for my grandfather, Sergeant Thomas Eveleigh Brown who lived at The Mill on Holderness Road in Hull in 1918/19. He was in the Northumberland Fusiliers but we're unsure of his battalion. His service number might be 26/790 but I have not been able to cross reference it, I got the service number from the service medal index cards for a Sergeant Thomas E. Brown in the Northumberland Fusiliers.

My grandfather was born on 3rd Oct 1892 in Sunderland. He left the army in 1921/22/23.

Regards,

Amanda

Hello Amanda, I can,t help you with researching your Grandfather but can inform you that the mill on holderness Road is still there! it is now a public house but still retains many of it,s original features -including the actual windmill, all the best, Ian.

• Admin

Hello Charles,

Regards,

Amanda

Amanda

If he left the Army in '1921/22/23', his service record will still be held by the MoD. See this link https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-defence/about/publication-scheme#how-to-apply-for-records-of-service-of-deceased-service-personnel and read the bits about Next of Kin.

Glen

Sergeant-Major, yes I have family in Hull / East Yorkshire still and I pass it regularly, thanks anyway. I agree it looks magnificent, I wonder if it looked that good when my great grandparents owned it!!

Glen, I have already contacted the MOD, but I will try your link as well. I am going everywhere and anywhere to try and find info. I reckon his service record was one of the 60% burned!

Regards,

Amanda

Ah, that may mean the Thomas E Brown I got from the service medal index cards might be wrong then, if his records were not kept at the location that was bombed. Let's hope we find them. Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Amanda,

If your Grandfathers Date of Birth is correct then might the following information be in regard to your family from the 1911 Census Records?

Thomas Eveleigh Brown age 18 on Sunday 2nd April 1911, the date the census was taken that year.

His mother Mary Tryphena Brown age 38

& His father Frederick John Brown age 46

Of 7 Upper Sans St Sunderland

Also:

Bother George William Brown age 16

Sister Edith Brown age 15

& Bother Frederick John Brown age 11

<>

If the above information is correct then do you know if George William Brown served?