Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identifying an aircraft type by its number

Terry_Reeves

I am researching Lt Crugar Stanley Peach who was accidentally killed when his aircraft crashed at Whitton Park, Twickenham on a flight from Hounslow. The aircraft is identified in a Metropolitan Police report as an "Army Biplane Number A3176." Is it possible to identify the type of aircraft from this number? If it is of any help, the pilot was based at Hounslow and was undergoing training. Any help would be appreciated.

TR

Terry as Centurion says its an RE8. There is a book 'British Aircraft Serials', it can be purchased for around a quid or two off abebooks, this gives the serial numbers allocated to every British aircraft, always useful to have on the shelf.

Terry as Centurion says its an RE8. There is a book 'British Aircraft Serials', it can be purchased for around a quid or two off abebooks, this gives the serial numbers allocated to every British aircraft, always useful to have on the shelf.

I use an electronic reference

http://www.ukserials.com/

Don't tell my wife that the majority of books I have can be accessed through t'internet.

Hi,

RE8 batch 3169-3268, built by The Austin Motor Co, Ltd, Birmingham

Cnock

Hi Terry,

Lt Peach was with 42 Reserve Squadron when he was killed, on 24 April 1917. He got himself into a spinning nose dive from which he couldn't recover.

This all comes from a Casualty Card at the RAF Museum. It was a two-seater, but the CAs Card indicates he was flying alone - the assumption being that there would have been ballast in the rear cockpit. The RE8 was used by the Corps units of the RFC/RAF in France and the Middle East for co-operation work with the artillery, reconnaissance etc.

Hoping this helps.

Regards,

Trevor

Trevor

Many thanks for that. The CWGC has the unit as 16 Squadron, but I found that rather odd. In fact he had been serving on the Western Front with the RFC as an observer before going for pilot training so 16 Sqn must have been his previous unit.

TR