Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mission to North Russia: photographs

high wood

I have purchased 22 photographs of the Mission to North Russia 1918 this morning. Seven of the photographs are duplicate but I will upload the better ones here. The photographs were presumably taken by an officer and the only clue that I have to his identity is the name I.F. or J.F. Johnson. Some are anotated but most are not. Any help that you can give with places or names would be welcome.

The caption to the first picture says: Jassy, Roumania, March 1918, I.F. Johmson.

post-6480-0-21659000-1302450440.jpg

Hi the last photo has some text above the central window. It might be Station, could you enlarge it and post it please.

With reference to the first photo, Jassy is in Romania.

Hi the last photo has some text above the central window. It might be Station, could you enlarge it and post it please.

Will do.

Same station, different view?

post-6480-0-40773400-1302471254.jpg

Are there any pictures taken in Russia?

There are some of horse drawn sledges on Lake Kimanova and reindeer drawn sledges on Lake Kandalaska. I will upload them in due course.

post-6480-0-80618000-1302547884.jpg

The scripted writing doesn't appear to be in Russian but the lettering above looks like the cyrillic abbreviation for the North-Western Railway, maybe you can do a closer image of the writing to see if we can suss out what it says!