Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/5th Duke of Wellington 28 March 1918

Benedictine

Hi there,

Does anyone have a copy of the war diary for the period 28 March-31 March 1918, specifically 28th.

Much appreciated,

Thanks

Jason

According to the LLT the 2/5 were absorbed into the 1/5th on 30/1/18 renamed the 5th Btn and transferred to 186th Brigade in 62nd (2nd West Riding) Division.

I have a copy of the WAR SERVICES OF THE 62nd DIVISIONAL ARTILLERY an extract from it is:

Next day, the 28th (March 1918), four attacks were made from the direction of Puisieux. One especially, launched at

10 a.m. against the 5th Duke of Wellington's, was delivered in tremendous strength, but the attacking

enemy troops were nearly annihilated, and the battalion not only held its own, but captured some twenty prisoners.

Bob

According to the LLT the 2/5 were absorbed into the 1/5th on 30/1/18 renamed the 5th Btn and transferred to 186th Brigade in 62nd (2nd West Riding) Division.

I have a copy of the WAR SERVICES OF THE 62nd DIVISIONAL ARTILLERY an extract from it is:

Next day, the 28th (March 1918), four attacks were made from the direction of Puisieux. One especially, launched at

10 a.m. against the 5th Duke of Wellington's, was delivered in tremendous strength, but the attacking

enemy troops were nearly annihilated, and the battalion not only held its own, but captured some twenty prisoners.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I'm aware that they repulsed attacks in the morning but there was also an afternoon attack in which a platoon from the 5th was wiped out. It's reference to that episode that I'm looking for.

Interesting about the 20 prisoners.

Jason

• 3 years later...

I have a post on my blog which specifically refers to events in that time period ('The Defence of Bucquoy' which may be of interest) See: http://chrispaynebooks.com/blog/25th-30th-march-1918-charlie-payne-at-the-defence-of-bucquoy/