Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Full name on headstone

Wildun

Hi all,

Could you experts out there answer a simple question for us regarding a name on a headstone. We recently visited Adanac Cemetery, Miraumont to pay respects to Hallam Hardy Johnson, a Pickworth, Lincolnshire man who served in the Sherwood Foresters. Instead of the expected H H Johnson we found the full name of Hallam Hardy Johnson. Being amateur travellers we could not remember seeing this format before; how rare is this and what would be the reason for this format? Did the family have a choice of format in the same way as the inscriptions at the bases of headstones?

Regards, Chris.

post-48739-0-67112400-1302299490.jpg

This has been on before. Search the Forum for the earlier thread.

Hi Piorun,

Thanks, and yes, I did add this question to someone elses topic recently but it was not answered there so I am trying again, this time correctly on my own topic. I have searched the Forum further back also but not yet found the answer. Even if this question has been answered in the past, could someone spare their time with the answer here? I realise that it is not of high importance but I am still curious and I believe that being curious broadens the knowledge.

Thanks again,

Regards, Chris.

Soory, Chris. Didn't realise it was you. I believe that family did have some choice in the matter of inscriptions and it may be that they wanted to pay for the full name (if, in fact, extra funds were needed for such a long name). Terry Denham or others will know better about that. Antony

• 7 years later...

I know it has been some time since this thread was active. I have come across it researching my family history. Hallam Hardy Johnson was my Great Grandmother's brother. I wondered if you were visiting because of a specific connection?

Cheers