Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte 11/6641 Robert Tolerton Royal Irish Rifles

W.J.Caughey

Hi everyone, i have been asked by a friend at local libary, to see if i can find anything for the above ww1 soldier, KIA 1/7/1916, apart from Mic,CWGC,SDGW, i have found,

just hoping that someone might have war dairys or things that might have him mention.

i would be most gratful for any help or direction i could go. Robert is on the Maghergall Church Roll of Honour http://www.magheragall.connor.anglican.org/WarMemorial.html

Kind regards Walter.

go to post above - scroll down - look under 'missing' .. there he is

Hi Desmond7, thats brillant info, B company so hopefully can google and get more.

Walter.

Walter

The War Diary WO95/2506 (Oct 1915 to Oct 1917) at Kew is not digital so you would need someone here to help if they have a copy,or get the relevant pages copied by someone visiting. I am not due to go for a few weeks otherwise I would be glad to post the events of 1.7.1916.You are unlikely,however, to see his name mentioned,unless they were diligent with the casualty lists for that day.

Sotonmate

Hi Sotonmate, thanks for reply and kind offer, that looks a good book, with the Ulster Division in France : A story of the 11th Batallion Royal Irish Rifles, checked libary will read that,

if i new how to order stuff out of that NA, last time i got a estimate for £450 only thought i was ordering a few pages near collaspe.

Kind regards Walter.

Is there any other lists available for any other battalions.?

This is the only one I've seen in this format

Hi Desmond, Thats a great site, and will give a great idea what his grandfather got up to that couple days.

appreciate time and effort you's give me.

Kind regards Walter

Steven,

The new [ish] books on the 9th, 10th and 11th Inniskillings have lists of men, though these have been compiled later they have the advantage of including men who joined the battalions after first embarkation.

I have an expanded list of the 10th Btn which includes additional information on the men, ie transfer to another unit, home addresses, UVF service number etc, but this is on-going.

There is a list of the original embarkation of the 14th RIR [YCVs'], although have only ever seen copie of this in Belfast.

Also interesting is the 1920 reformed West Belfat UVF roll, giving service detail of those who rejoined the UVF. Lots of different regiments, mostly 9th RIR as would be expected. Only know of one copy not available to view.

And there is an original 1915 embarkation roll of the Ulster Division Signal Section Royal Engineers [about 200 men].

There is also 'The recollections D J Bell of Ballynahinch', which were serialised in one of the County Down papers in the 60's and he has the embarkation list of the 13th Royal Irish Rifles.

This came out as a booklet and is very rare now.

There is the 12th Royal Irish Rifles Old Comrades book, which list men by town/village branch, but not addresses or service numbers.

Ballyclare did its own book on those from the town that served. Good detail with photos, ultra rare. Saw copy once in the home of a Ballyclare veteran, gave me a couple of photo-copies of men i was interested in.

Lots of 12th RIRs'.

I have a compiled list of about 300 Ulster Division Royal Engineers of the 121st, 122nd and 150th field companies.

Not counting the Presbyterian registers, which would duplicate a lot, i would imagine there are about 8 thousand of the Ulster Division men available on some sort of list.

Des, Tommy, how many do you think we have even basic details for?

Rob

Would there be any chance of GWFers in the Greater Belfast area (or even across NI!) to get together to pool resources?

Nigel

I have a pretty big number from Ballymena and Borough/the pre-war UV listings/OC book for 194(?) 12th Rifles; Liam (Larneman) has a good section on his site; then you have the Lisburn site etc etc

It may well be worth starting a separate topic/guide:- Researching an Ulster Div. soldier. Then everyone could link in .. stick it in the 'Ireland' section might be worthwhile then it would cover pre/during and post war stuff?

Desmond

You wouldnt have anything on this man on any sheets or lists would you, its a friend of mines great grandfather

STARRETT, Rifleman, JAMES, 45548. 12th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles formerly (T4/039455) Army Service Corps. 21st March 1918

Not in terms of war diary - basically you have most of the battalion going into the bag in one day .. what you're left with is 'rear' elements. C Coy under a Captain Johnston put up one hell of a fight and were eventually carved up by two German tanks (the first time German tanks had been used against British troops). 21 March is a very messy day.

I'll try and find a link .. your man may well have been with Johnston .. hard to tell