Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Complete Beginner What are they for?

snice

CharlesErnestTerryWW1Medals.jpg

I was recently given my Great Grandfather's medals and no one in my family knows what each medal was for exactly, so i was wondering if anybody could help me identify them.

Thanks

Sarah

The medal on the right looks like the 1916 version of the Meritorious Service Medal - a medal awarded for either gallantry "not in the presence of the enemy", or for prolonged excellent service.

Steve.

Or more likely the Long Service & Good Conduct Medal George V Field Marshal Bust, Type,1911~1930,awarded for exemplary service over a period of years,@ this period IIRC 22 years LONG service with Good Conduct {many men did the time but failed on the Good Conduct element!!} The MSM had a centre white stripe to the ribbon.

The Obverses are identical for both the MSM & LSGC Medals,the reverses are different the LSGC has "FOR LONG SERVICE AND GOOD CONDUCT" on the reverse [back] the Meritorious Service Medal a wreath with "Victorian" Crown atop & the Words "FOR MERITORIOUS SERVICE " on the reverse

I thought that there was an MSM for a short while with no centre stripe, but medals are not my thing, so I will defer to the expert!

Steve.

To answer your question, snice: 1914/15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal, Long Service & Good Conduct Medal (post 1910 - pre 1920). The 1914-15 Star was issued to officers and men of British and Imperial forces who served in any theatre of the War between 5 August 1914 and 31 December 1915 (other than those who had already qualified for the 1914 Star). Those who received the 1914/15 Star (or the '14 Star) also received the British War Medal and Victory Medal. Antony

So most likely a professional soldier before WW1 started.

Hi

If you can post the details on the back of the star or the rims of the others I am sure we could find other information for you also.

They are a nice set of medals, take good care of them!

regards

Robert

I thought that there was an MSM for a short while with no centre stripe,

The LSGC & MSM did share, IIRC; a plain crimson ribbon initially,the Stripes to both were added in WW1 :excl:

thank you rgartillery for the time span,werent Victorian LSGC awards 22 Years?

HB,

MY g/fathers'LSGC (in my possession) was awarded in 1903, making 18 years since he joined in 1885. Which period would have been awarded under ? Victorian or Edwardian, that is the burning question

Cheers

Edward, I believe, David. He was the reigning monarch in 1903 and medals would have been struck accordingly upon his accession in 1901. Antony

Looks like Indian Army LS&GC (Indian), the Indian Army LS&GC (European) had no white stripe at edge

With respect, no evidence of Indian service. Antony

...MY g/fathers'LSGC (in my possession) was awarded in 1903, making 18 years since he joined in 1885. Which period would have been awarded under ? Victorian or Edwardian, that is the burning question

It would have been awarded in the reign of Edward VII,Queen Victoria having died in 1901,however the actual Medal {which you have, might be a QV issue, as old stocks were used up!!{I have a QV Volunteer Long Service Medal awarded in 1903 to a Suffolk Rgt Volunteer.} :thumbsup: HB

Looks like Indian Army LS&GC (Indian), the Indian Army LS&GC (European) had no white stripe at edge

ALL Imperial LSGC & MSMs had plain Crimson Ribbons until around 1916,not just IA,IIRC when the VC Navy {Blue} Ribbon was discontinued the white stripes where added to alleviate confusion on the LSGC & newly revived MSM,which had an additional centre white stripe added. :excl:

It would have been awarded in the reign of Edward VII,Queen Victoria having died in 1901,however the actual Medal {which you have, might be a QV issue, as old stocks were used up!!{I have a QV Volunteer Long Service Medal awarded in 1903 to a Suffolk Rgt Volunteer.} :thumbsup: HB

Harry . . . :blink: ? Unless the old lady grew a beard . . . . ! Cheers, Antony

Harry . . . :blink: ? Unless the old lady grew a beard . . . . ! Cheers, Antony

The LSGC for 1903 "rgartillery" is talking about is not the one illustrated by "snice" which is Geo V anyhoo!!! but the bearded lady wins!!! :whistle: