Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st btn. Royal Scots 1900 - 1918

Martinlc

I am attempting to collect any information on the 1st btn. Royal Scots posted to India approx. 1906 returned to England at the outbreak of WW1.

Specifically I believe my Grandfather was a member of that unit Simon Connolly born in Dumbarton (1888 ?)joined 1903 -1906. He served in India and then in France. Possibly left the unit in 1915 - 1916 unknown reasons. Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Hi Ontario welcome to the Forum,Acting Corporal 10156 Simon Connolly of The Royal Scots,going on his Medal Card he deserted on 19/12/1915. :unsure: I will have a look for any records for you.

all the best Gary.

Hi Ontario welcome to the Forum,Acting Corporal 10156 Simon Connolly of The Royal Scots,going on his Medal Card he deserted on 19/12/1915. :unsure: I will have a look for any records for you.

all the best Gary.

[/quot

Hi Gary

Thanks so much for your note. This had not been confirmed until now. We had been told that he had lost so many people that he had soldiered withfor so many years that when he was told he would be sent back to the trenches that he felt it would be a death sentence and decided to desert.

Thanks again and of course any further information you have would be greatly appreciated.

Ontario