Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with uniform identification please!

andy66

Dear Pals,

I recently received this attched photo of my Grandmother's brother and the only detail that came with it his name; 'JW Meakin' and 'about 1899'.

The style looks alot like WW1 Service uniform to me and there looks to be a single wound stripe on the lower left arm. The hair style (short back and sides with a tufft at the front) also makes me think it is more around the Great War than 1899.

Could anyone help with identifying the unit this uniform belongs to and/or confirm the era it would have been worn.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Cheers

Andy

post-35243-0-37558700-1301919626.jpg

At first glance, it does look like a wound stripe, Andy, which would make it '16 or later. Antony

'JW Meakin' and 'about 1899'.

Year of birth maybe Andy? do you know his full name and where he lived?

Sam

Year of birth maybe Andy? do you know his full name and where he lived?

Sam

Hi Sam,

The JW was for John William Meakin and was born in Staffordshire about 1875, but was a resident of Bradford, W. Yorks. However, if that is a wound stripe that would throw out the date of 'about 1899' written on the photo and he does not appear to be over 40 either, so that also makes me think that this could be one of the other Meakin brothers and as there were seven of them I think I will have to do some more research.

Cheers

Andy

At first glance, it does look like a wound stripe, Andy, which would make it '16 or later. Antony

Thanks Antony,

That's what I thought too so throws the 'taken about 1899' out a bit. Do you know if wound stripes were issued prior to WW1?

Cheers

Andy

I do not believe they were. Earliest reference is WW1. Antony

I do not believe they were. Earliest reference is WW1. Antony

Thanks Antony