Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W P Graham 4th Dragoon Guards 21628

carolbell2

Hi, I am new to the forum so I hope I have put this in the correct place and that there is not an obvious answer somewhere else. It is truly impressive the way answers are posted on this site and the amazing knowledge and research there is out there. So here goes.

My Grandfather William Peter Graham was in 4th Dragoon Gds. His medals have the service number 21628 engraved around the rim. His medal card has this number on it prefixed by GS/ what does it mean? In addition to this there D/16821 beneath it. Please can anyone tell me what the second number was? Also there is no date at the bottom to say when he entered the theatre of war, does this mean that it was after 1/1/16 ? Is there anyway to find out?

Hello Carol

And Welcome to the Great war Forum, The first place to start is to read the Long long Trail 90% of your answers would be found there

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/mic.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/dragoonguards.htm

From the LLT it States that 4th Dragoon guards moved to France on 16th Aug 1914. If you look at the LLT it show you how to read M.I.C

Carol I hope this helps you

Best regards

Ian

Thanks Ian for the welcome and the reply. Thanks also for the links which I followed up. I had tried those particular ones earlier but could not find anything extra explaining the bits I was looking for earlier. Perhaps I have missed something and will look again. Is it correct to think that the absence of a date of entry to theatre of war means that it will have been after the begining of 1916?

Regards, Carol

Hi, I am new to the forum so I hope I have put this in the correct place and that there is not an obvious answer somewhere else. It is truly impressive the way answers are posted on this site and the amazing knowledge and research there is out there. So here goes.
My Grandfather William Peter Graham was in 4th Dragoon Gds. His medals have the service number 21628 engraved around the rim. His medal card has this number on it prefixed by GS/ what does it mean? In addition to this there D/16821 beneath it. Please can anyone tell me what the second number was? Also there is no date at the bottom to say when he entered the theatre of war, does this mean that it was after 1/1/16 ? Is there anyway to find out?

His Medal Index Card should list which medals he received. If he only received a British War Medal & Victory Medal pair then he would have entered after 1/1/16. The "GS" prefix is common for the Dragoon Guards regiments and simply indicates that he served in a Guards regiment. The National Archives also has a Medal Roll for the 4DG. It's possible that this could list his date of entry.
Barney

His Medal Index Card should list which medals he received. If he only received a British War Medal & Victory Medal pair then he would have entered after 1/1/16. The "GS" prefix is common for the Dragoon Guards regiments and simply indicates that he served in a Guards regiment. The National Archives also has a Medal Roll for the 4DG. It's possible that this could list his date of entry.

Barney Mattingly

Thanks Barney that is very helpful. I have now tried The National Archives but just seem to get his MIC. Do you have a ref number for thr 4DG list by any chance. I have a photo of him in a Red Cross hospital which says Netherlands which i could post here but seems too big, I have tried resizing but cannot get it small enough -. any suggestions?

Carol

Thanks Barney that is very helpful. I have now tried The National Archives but just seem to get his MIC. Do you have a ref number for thr 4DG list by any chance. I have a photo of him in a Red Cross hospital which says Netherlands which i could post here but seems too big, I have tried resizing but cannot get it small enough -. any suggestions?

Carol

Hi Carol,

The list I'm referring to is only available at The National Archives, not on their website. Have you had a look at ancestry.co.uk? They have many soldier's discharge papers for WWI.

Barney