Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is this unknown Aussie?

Chris_Baker

A lady in Australia would dearly like to identify the man in this photo:

post-1-0-78925900-1301902487.jpg

Plenty of insignia clues. Can we try to figure out who he might be?

I can't make the image bigger/clearer for the forum but if anyone would like one (the one I have is 4.6Mb) do let me know.

Lady is from NSW. I don't know anything about her family but can ask as we begin to home into "possibles".

Chris,

A corporal in the 45th Battalion A.I.F (assuming the colours are correct) with a wound stripe.

Is that a Lewis Gunners badge above the stripes?

45th Battalion were largely New South Welshmen.

Something to start with.

It's hard to tell what the trade badge is (well, it is for me but no doubt our badge and unform experts will spot it), even on the largest copy I have:

post-1-0-36775500-1301903548.jpg

Can you supply us with possible family names, Chris - the lady's, by birth or marriage, etc? Antony

Two GC badges means five years service, at least. So this fellow was in the AIF for a considerable time. It may put him among the 13th Bn men who were transferred into the 45th Bn in early 1916.

So, 5 years service would have to date the pic to at least 1919, probably taken before he left UK for home.

Scott,

I would tend to disagree those are good conduct stripes he is wearing.

I see what you are saying David- too many late nights here!

If the photo is taken around 1918-1919 and the man was originally with the 13th Battalion would he not be wearing an Anzac A badge on his colour patch?

If it's of any help Chris, T A White's "Fighting Thirteenth" states that B and D Companies of the 13th Battalion were handed over in their entriety to form the nucleus of the 45th Battalion.

Scott

[if the photo is taken around 1918-1919 and the man was originally with the 13th Battalion would he not be wearing an Anzac A badge on his colour patch?

Scott

Not all Aussie soldiers in Egypt in 1915 served on Gallipoli. There are many reasons why he is not wearing the "A" on his colour patch.

Peter

So, 5 years service would have to date the pic to at least 1919, probably taken before he left UK for home.

Good conduct chevrons and wound strip.Trade badge unsure. LG MG HG in wreath.

Atnomis/Simon

Not all Aussie soldiers in Egypt in 1915 served on Gallipoli. There are many reasons why he is not wearing the "A" on his colour patch.

Peter

True. So you could use its absence to differentiate him from other 13th Battalion men who had served at Gallipoli or on the islands if the photo does date from that late war period.

A lot of ifs.

Scott

Two GC badges means five years service, at least. So this fellow was in the AIF for a considerable time.

True if he was British but the Australians used a different set of criteria for the Long Service/Good Conduct chevrons. The soldier shown would have had a minimum of two years overseas service with no misconduct resulting in a regimental entry in his records.

From the Digger History website (http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-badges/qualification.htm).....

"A.I.F. ORDER No.470, 24 January 1917

The question of the issue of a badge to members of the AIF who have completed a certain period of service has received consideration, and approval has been given for the issue of a badge for long service combined with good conduct, subject to the following conditions.

The badge will consist of an inverted single chevron of service braid to be worn on the left forearm - the point of the chevron to be 3 inches above the edge of the cuff.

Warrant and non-commissioned officers and men, will be eligible for the badge, which will not carry an increased pay or allowance.

One chevron will be worn for each complete year's service in the Australian Imperial Force from the date of embarkation in Australia; but no badge will be issued to any man who, during the 12 months, has incurred a regimental entry (i.e. an entry involving forfeiture of pay) in his sheet. Time absent from the unit in hospital or elsewhere on account of wounds or sickness, not the result of misconduct, will count as service towards earning the badge.

A man in possession of a badge will forfeit same on being convicted of any offence involving a forfeiture of pay, but will be eligible to regain the badge after 6 months good conduct, from the date of forfeiture.

The illegal wearing of this badge will be a crime under A.A. Section 40."

Steve

It is a p;ity that we cannot see his right arm and check the number of overseas chevrons he may or may not be wearing. All the shevrons indicate is that he had at least 2 years good conduct from the time

he left Australia.

AIF Good Conduct badges....needless to say I haven't seen too many photos of AIF men wearing those...let alone no conduct entries in service records!

Rgds

Tim D

The only reason they issued good conduct badges was that they ran out of bad conduct badges. I agree, you don't see too many of them.

• 6 months later...

I'm the lady from NSW..... I've discovered the strips are in fact service chevrons, might have been in another Battalion

and transferred to the 45th. He was injured, and a Lewis Gunner. It is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you Chris for initiating discussion.

Hello Lyn55 ... glad to see you have found this attempt to fill in the gaps, but you can also see it is not really homing in too strongly. Two years service; Lewis gunner; went into 45th at some point ... but that is about it so far. Emails I sent to various people I thought might be able to help have not come back with anything more specific, either.

Have you got the names of any possibles, possible last name of family or where he may have been from Lyn?

Rgds

Tim D

Hi Tim, No unfortunately, I have no information other than what's been listed. I was given the portrait some time back and

thought it about time I tried to identify him. No relation whatsoever. The portrait hangs on my lounge room wall. Actually, the

portrait was discovered in an antique shop. I've visited the AWM, they were most helpful identifying Battalion etc. The rest is up

to me. I've joined FFFAIF, hopefully they may be able to assist me. There is a NSW Pictorial Honour Roll (for those who don't know)

I've listed my soldier on the "Unknown Heros". One thought is to advertise through one of the papers.

Apparently, February 2012 there is a 45th Battalion Plaque being laid at the AWM, I will be attending , with photo in hand!! just in case.

Thank you for your interest. Please help me if you can!!

Regards, Lyn

Whereabouts was the antique shop Lyn?