Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ypres tour March 2011

Guest tafski

A visit to Yorkshire Trench sadly it has seen better days and is in need of some TLC

Yes it does. It is such a shame that it is hidden in an industrial estate and then left to the elements. The fact that it's a snapshot of what that area was like, means that it should be looked after. It was the 1st place i took my daughter to last year on our visit (it was her 1st & i'd never been there before)

She is a modern lady well at home with the industrial estates of the world but was amazed to find this peice of history. All ind estates are a bit grim but the trench really got her imagination going as to how more horrible it was back in the great war.

From there on in she was hanging on my every word and wanted to know everything that i knew for the rest of the trip.

Out of interest is anybody responsible for it's up keep ?

Bruce, even more gutted that i never made it, incidently i was researching a group of brothers from Church Gresley and one of them Daniel Summers Notts & Derby's lies in Railway dugouts, would have been good to have laid a rememberance cross for me if i had known you were visiting, Geoff

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=490751

All i can say geoff is thank the shower u work for :w00t:

Yes it does. It is such a shame that it is hidden in an industrial estate and then left to the elements. The fact that it's a snapshot of what that area was like, means that it should be looked after. It was the 1st place i took my daughter to last year on our visit (it was her 1st & i'd never been there before)

She is a modern lady well at home with the industrial estates of the world but was amazed to find this peice of history. All ind estates are a bit grim but the trench really got her imagination going as to how more horrible it was back in the great war.

From there on in she was hanging on my every word and wanted to know everything that i knew for the rest of the trip.

Out of interest is anybody responsible for it's up keep ?

I believe that its the responsibily of the Flanders field museum

DSCF0590.jpg

DSCF0591.jpg

DSCF0592.jpg

[

Glad you had a good trip Bruce. As you got home I left. I, however could only return to the Somme. Must make the effort to go to Ypres. I too have a chaps medals who now lies in Railway Dugouts...Sidney Butt RFA.

Great photos and glad you had a good trip!

Take care and speak soon mate!

TT

Coming late to the thread I'll post some of my earlier shots and hopefully catch up with Bruce before too long.

The first stop was Adinkerke Military Cemetery which as you've seen has more nationalities buried here than many cemeteries. The allied soldiers here tend to be buried on a one man - one grave ratio, whereas the enemy seem mostly to buried in mulit-occupancy graves.

12032011377.jpg

A Czech soldier's WWII grave from 1944 which seems to have been visited by somone making a pilgrimage, perhaps for the first time given that country's recent history and the difficulty it's nationals would have had in travelling.

12032011383.jpg

The Tank Memorial Ypres Salient, Poelkapelle.

An extremely well thought out and highly symbolic memorial to all tank crew who fell in the Ypres Salient. Chris Lock gave up his time to come and speak to us about the memorial and his passion for his subject was very much in evidence. As an ex-Royal Tank Regiment soldier himself, the men that this memorial commemorates were not just fallen soldiers worthy of Remembrance, they were brother Tankees.

Many thanks to Chris for his time and his invaluable knowledge. The talk was very much appreciated by us all.

Fear Naught!

From mud, through blood to the green fields beyond.

12032011385.jpg

On the roundabout and almost casting a shadow over the Ypres Salient Tank Memorial stands this elegant memorial to the French air ace Georges Guynemer.

12032011386.jpg

The Ypres Salient Tank Memorial has a memorial garden which is brought out to complement special commemorative events at the main memorial.

Constructed by Frans Hoijtink, each poppy cross remembers one fallen tank crew member by name and number. The crosses were inscribed by Chris' wife Milena, and if memory serves me it took two-and-a-half long days to mark up every cross.

Chris and Milena's dedication to this memorial is beyond doubt.

12032011387.jpg

A little more tank memorabilia.

12032011389.jpg

Some shots from the fascinating mini museum dedicated to Georges Guynemer.

Again, thanks to Chris Lock for his time and knowledge here.

12032011388.jpg

12032011390.jpg

12032011391.jpg

The brand new Indian Memorial, just to the Lille Gate side of the Menin Gate Memorial. It had only been unveiled that day.

12032011396.jpg

12032011397.jpg

A wind powered electricity generating turbine. As well as the industrial estate which is still being built over the area where the 49th (West Riding) Division was in the second half of 1915, these turbines are becoming as much a feature of the landscape as the little cemeteries around here once were. Unfortunately only those with a good imagination or a long memory can envisage what this area was once like. But, that's progress. This turbine is photographed from roughly the centre of the Yorkshire Trench site.

13032011406.jpg

With the water table being so high in the area, it appears that the weight of the artificial concrete sandbagging is proving too much for the ground underneath to support them. Here we have a few photos of the settling and moving of the structure and of some decay in the sandbags. As Bruce has said, some work is needed here to make the site look good again, and, dare I say, if it is left much longer there are bound to be issues of visitor safety arising if the decay continues at this rate. Two years ago when we last visited Yorkshire Trench the decay in evidence today was far less pronounced. What will another few years, the centenary of the start of the war is fast approaching don't forget, have done to the site if the decay is left to progress unchecked?

13032011407.jpg

13032011408.jpg

13032011409.jpg