Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ypres tour March 2011

Guest tafski

[well it was that time of the year March 2011 when the gentlemen of Ypres made their annual trip to the battlefields, alas only 4 of the original Somme tour of 2010 were able to make the trip so for those who couldnt make it these pics are for you , hopefully you will be able to make next years pilgrimage to either the Somme or Verdun

First port of call for this years trip was Adinkerke cemetery

DSCF0490.jpg

begian graves

DSCF0491.jpg

German Graves

DSCF0492.jpg

Hi Tafski. Great stuff. Keep posting the pics. The Somme 2010 Tour thread was class.

Look forward to seeing this one too.

cheers fella heres a few more to keep you going from this tour which by the way was not an excuse to go on the beer like a certain person hinted to a friend :angry2:This tour was with friends and to use as an info gathering excercise for a trip later on in the year,also to pay our respects to the fallen

DSCF0494.jpg

meeting with our friend Chris lock at the tank memorial at Poelkapelle, Chris has worked extramley hard to ensure the memory of tank crews on the salient are not forgotten , well done Chris

DSCF0499.jpg

DSCF0496.jpg

The base of the Tank memorial which was built by my good frends Frans and Mell of de diggers, this is placed at the bottom of the monument on commerative occasions .A poppy cross representing a tank crew member who gave his life in the great war .

DSCF0504.jpg

DSCF0501.jpg

There is another memorial to Guynemer in Dunkirk....his home town.

Bruce

There is another memorial to Guynemer in Dunkirk....his home town.

Bruce

... and Compiegne where his family was from (though he was born in Paris). He enlisted at Bayonne, though, which made me wonder about the Dunkirk link... did he live there for a period?

Anyway, here's a picture of the original memorial at Dunkirk (German photo from June 1940)...

post-357-0-93197200-1301913551.jpg

The modern memorial in Dunkirk is rather more restrained!

Bruce

Looking forward to more shots, Bruce. Sorry I couldn't make it this year... but your mention of possibly doing some of the French/American bit next year does sound bloody tempting! (I've always preferred blue to khaki anyway!:P )

dave