Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

An Irishman fighting for and against in WW1

BrendanLee

There are a few topics mentioning Michael Keogh on the forum. His claim to have saved Hitler was also discussed at length I believe. I think there are at least two family members who also joined the forum and contributed. Will be an interesting documentary, thanks for posting.

John

I have been interviewed for the program [ I have no idea how they will edit what I said]. Keogh had a "colourful" life, and when he put pen to paper it tends to become more colourful :)

Long and short of it is that I can place Michael Keogh and Hitler in the same TurkenStrasse Barracks in Munich the week he claims the incident took place, but cannot establish one way or the other whether the incident he cites actually happened, or if it did (I suspect that the incident did happen, and Keogh knew of it) whether Keogh was a key player

Without corroborating evidence, history will not accept his word alone

Keogh does claim in his memoirs that he saw Hitler three times - once wounded on the Western Front (I can establish that he could not have done) and once at a rally in the 30s, and this event where he intervened to save Hitlers life in Munich in 1919

My notes on Michael Keogh, warts and all are on this link

The documentary will be available for free download after the 2nd.

I had a play on the link you posted, and you can download it now, no need to wait till Apr 2

Having listened to the broadcast, the only thing I would add is about the horse that survived the Battle of Little Big Horn. Keogh claims to have ridden it in 1910, unfortunately the horse died in 1899. Story of the horse on Wikipedia. That tale points up the difficulties of researching Michael Keogh - the horse was ridden by a man called Keogh at Little Big Horn, it did survive, it was kept in retirement at Fort Riley, but Keogh could not have ridden it i 1910.