Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

For Service at the Front ( Pin)

Hardrations

I have in my possession two sets of WW 1 medals. I have traced both sets to the owners and families. These sets were found hidden behind some wood molding in a home in Charleswood in Winnipeg Manitoba. With the medals was a " For Service At The Front" pin # 71206. I would like to confirm which veteran owned the pin. Any one know of where I can access this information. It would have been held by a Pte. Cliffe or Pte. Stewart. I lean towards Pte. Cliffe C.A.M.C ( 100th Btn on his attestation papers) Appreciate any assistance.

That doesn't help Piorun . The number is not a regimental number. It's a govt. issued pin with a warning that it's not to be worn by unqualified people. I well know the site you posted, used for years now. I have the service records of both gentlemen, no where does it mention the pin being issued in them. Thanks the same though.

The records for War Service Badges do exist in National Archives. They are apparently in several large ledgers, but they do not show up on an online search, so even gaining access may be difficult.

The records for War Service Badges do exist in National Archives. They are apparently in several large ledgers, but they do not show up on an online search, so even gaining access may be difficult.

Thank you Micheal,

I'll be down Ottawa way this early summer. So maybe with some searching around I can possibly get National Archives to let me access the ledgers. Much appreciate your assistance

Have sent an e-mail off to National Archives in Ottawa. Hope they can find something of value for me.

Below is the answer I have to my query to the National Archives. I suspect that the pins were given out in alphabetical order as the one I have would fit in with Pte. Cliffe in order of numbers and alphabet. (As a guess). Thanks again Michael for putting me onto the archives for that question.

In reply to your recent e-mail inquiry, I wish to confirm that Library and Archives Canada holds some War Service Badge Number Ledgers for the First World War (archival reference 2003-01458-6). Unfortunately, not all those registers survived. The registers that still exist do not include serial numbers in the range you cited (i.e. five-digit numbers), only higher numbers.